1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compatability Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselmadman, Nov 30, 2009.

1. dieselmadman

dieselmadman Junior Member

New to the site so thanks, inadvance, for any help you may provide.

I recently purchased, via craigslist, a Western plow for my 04 Silverado Crew Cab diesel. However, I was not careful enough to research what I was buying. Turns out it is an 07 LSX model, measuring 7' 2", so I am assuming it is small for my truck, but is it still usable? Also, I already own a Western Plow that I have been using on a 1993 full size Bronco that works great. This measures 7' 6". Once I mount the frame on the 04 Silverado, can I put the larger snow plow on it? Will the plow frame and the push plate pins match up so that the Bronco can use the LSX plow? Thanks again.

Dennis

2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

If they are both uni-mount or ultra mount it will fit right up.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The '07 LSX will be an Ultra for sure. Just depends on what's on your Bronco, but if it's not an Ultra then no the Bronco plow will not fit.

And no I wouldn't run the LSX on a crew cab diesel equipped truck for any reason.

4. dieselmadman

Thanks, for the replies.

What are the downsides to mounting an LSX on a crew cab diesel? I am doing driveways only, not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's makes a big difference when doing driveways with a long truck with an undersized plow. To get to the curbs you need to have the truck much closer to any obstructions (curbs, shrubs, the next house over, light poles etc). Making unwanted mirror removal, scrapes and scratches that much more un-preventable. Any drives with curves are worse.

6. dieselmadman

Right now I am not reallly sure what I have after reading the posts. The guy I bought the plow from said it was an LSX, but the plow blade clearly states Unimount on it, though the blade measures 7'2" which I thought was the LSX. Is there a quick way to determine what I actually have? Thanks.

7. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

post up some pics of both plows and both mounts. This will help us to determine what you have

8. dieselmadman

Well, I finally got the mount up on the 03 Silverado and attached the blade. It is definitely a Unimount, as it clearly states it on the blade and, even though I haven't tried yet, it clearly looks like the Bronco blade will fit on it. So, I guess they do make the LSX with a Unimount.

Anyway, the blade is small for the Silverado at only 7'2". My guess is the truck should really have an 8 footer. But, the deal was good, and, quite frankly, I wasn't paying attention to the length of the blade when I bought it like I should have. So, it is what it is. My question is, is there a quality difference in the build between the standard 7'6" blade and the smaller LSX? At a difference of only 4", I am not sure I would notice much of a difference plowing, but the weight of the Silverado is far greater than the Bronco, so I was wondering if the build quality of the bigger blade was more heavy duty. Can't really tell by looking. Any thoughts? Thanks.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with a LSX on a 1500. Will be a bit too narrow as mentioned but won't damage the truck or plow. Unless you cut the corners too close. :nod:

10. dieselmadman

I should have mentioned it is a 2500HD Crew Cab Diesel if that makes a difference...

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:eek: That makes a huge difference. The plow is far too light duty and faaar too narrow. Adding a set of wings would help the width issue but it's still too much truck for the plow. Those plows were intended for 1/2 tons and small SUV's, not a crew cab HD Diesel.

12. dieselmadman

So, when you say light duty, do you mean the LSX is less sturdy than a standard 7'6" blade? Also, I have never heard of "wings" before. Are these specific to Western Plows or are they aftermarket add ons? Thanks.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the LSX's are lighter built than a standard duty. They use only stamped thin gauge steel on much the moldboard framework along with a lightweight stamped quadrant where the standards use a quadrant made from actual angle iron and plate, not much unlike a Pro plow. The pivot points and hardware are smaller as well.

Definitely not a good choice in front of a heavy and long pickup truck if you intended to actually use it.

As as wings if you look around here a little you'll find much info on them if you're not familiar with them. Try the search function using the keyword "prowings" and you find hundreds of threads about them going back many years.