1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Comparison: Standard Or X Blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bolensdriver, Dec 10, 2004.

1. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

What is better on the X Blade than the standard Fisher?
  2. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I am looking at the X Blade as my next plow since that it would be nice not to have to repaint the the blade every 1-2 years. I also think the stainless mold board is neat looking
  3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Haven't used the X blade yet, but i hear it scrapes better especially when back blading.Also not having to paint it all the time is a plus. :)
  4. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

The stainless is a huge upgrade for the Xblade, but not the biggest upgrade from the standard.... more importantly it has a more aggrasive curve to it to roll snow off of it quicker and more efficiently, and the moldboard itself is a good couple of inches taller. Addionally, where it gets its name from.... the X ribs are a huge upgrade in the support and stength department... Just from my experience with the blade, its a damn good plow. Sometimes i envy it vesus my Western Pro, until i mount my plow then i say, naaaaah nothin beats the ultramount yet
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

It all depends on what you are using the blade for. For example the X-blade is probably not the best choice for gravel roads/drive since it steeper attack angle will just dig up the gravel(the x-blade does not even have mounts for shoes I understand). But if it will be used on paved roads, it will work better at scraping since the greater attack angle will dig in more. So my answer is it depends on what your plans are for using it.
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The higher angle of attack should plow up ice better and do better at speed with accelerated moldboard curve. If would likely not do as well in real deep snow as the constant curved standard Fisher plow

Also bear in mind that the idea of stainless steel is really kinda cool but the use of it at night could be quite distracting from glare from head gear lights. You would likely need to coat the backside of it with something to cut glare (paint would likely not stick well but a bed liner type spray should.)
  7. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

great idea
  8. osbo68

osbo68 Member

You should not have a problem with glare. It is not a polished surface. Just plain stainless. The X-bracing is simply amazing. Hard to find a sturdier plow. Just look at how the forces of the spring is applied to the bracing vs. regular ribs. My opinion of course!! All metal parts are also powder coated vs. being painted. They do sell shoes for the X-blade. They are an anti-wear/curb shoe. A little different than the standard shoes as they mount on the edge of the plow. The angle of attack is supposed to be great for iceing conditions. But as said earlier watch the gravel. Sorry I don't own one YET. But it will be our next new plow purchase. Gotta have those wings on there also. Only down fall is you can't weld the mount to the plow. They need to be bolted on. Bummer!!! :(
  9. Tarkus

Polished or not the glare off on that thing will be nasty at night when raised. I would not mind trying one but if I did the upper half of back would get painted/coated with a black finish.
  10. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

The glare is no worse on my X Blade than on a powder coated plow. as stated before there are curb/wear shoes available for the X blade, redesigned for this year.
  11. osbo68

osbo68 Member

They also have an all steel X-blade that is powder coated. Same constrution just a steel moldboard vs. stainless. You will save approx.45lbs. on the steel version of the 8'6" blade.
  12. Tarkus

It sux on the powder coated ones too for glare so nothing to brag about there.