1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Comparing V8's??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jaysled, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

Guys I'm looking at a new Cab Chassis 4x4. We are installing a 12'box on it to use as a delivery truck. I'm comparing V8 of the big three and looking for some advise. Do I go for a Hemi 3500, 6.2EFI V8 Ford f-350, or GMC 3500 HD 6.0 Liter V8. Some unbiased advise you be great Thanks Guys.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. battersea rider

battersea rider Junior Member

had a 2004 ford f250 5.4 160 kms not a single issue now have a 09 ford v10 works good two just my 2 cents

3. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Ive seen alot of 6.0 with over 300k with no problems. I would get what ever is proven. 6.2 has not been around very long. Hemi...? not sure Dont know any one that has one.........

4. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

The Rams have a 100000 warranty on them. Thats why I bought 2 of them both with 5.7s and we love them so far. Plenty of power.

J

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I would buy the truck that gives you the best value for your money. Detroit makes some good trucks. I have a Ford but I would be happy with a Dodge or Chevy.

6. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Gm has a 5yr 100k warranty, and the 6.0 has been out since '01 i belive. It comes down to whichever u like best and cost.

7. plow_Ak

plow_Ak Junior Member

This is a difficult question to answer... I for one only buy ford and the main reason is they did not take bail out money and that is my thing, y give money to ppl just so they can line their pockets and laugh all the way to the bank..

Ford makes a great motor for sure either way.. 5.4,6,2 or the 6.8 v10

the chevy is a car with a box on it.. but the 6.0 is a bomb proof motor.. heavy a bit under powered but no issues..

the hemi is a great design i just dont think just like the cummins great motor would be alot better in a better chassis...

all in all it comes down to bang for your buck as well as dealer support.. a great warranty and all that doesnt mean crap if you have a crappy dealer that only wants his point of sale..

I also believe that this is just like a plow it is really hard to buy a bad product any more... just go where ever you feel that you are bein treated best and fairly.....ussmileyflag

8. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I like the 6.0L chevy's - it's in all the gassers I own.

Diesels, well they are the fords.

9. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

the new 6.2 gm gas motor in the trucks is 435 horse--the 6.0 that came out in 2000 has been replaced. The Hemi motors are not real impressive. They have valve seat issues if you run it hot and the earlier models were cracking pistons. The 5.4 ford motors have issues with cam phasers, head gaskets leaking oil, exhaust manifolds breaking bolts much like the gm 6.0. I am GM guy myself and love the gm LS motors--you really have to go out of your way to blow up one. They really are bulletpoof. The 6.2 supercharged v8 in the cadillac cts-v is 556hp and comes with a 5year 100k warranty--if they back for that long you gotta believe it is built like a brick sh!thoise. Ford builds a decent truck but I am not a big fan of the mod motors--4.6 and 5.4 motors. If the new 6.2 gas is much of the same then I would have to say I am not real impressed. We have 2 gm trucks--1 2500 6.0 gas and 1 3500 dually 6.0 gas--no issues with power or towing capacity.

10. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI is the motor listed on the spec sheet?

11. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 Junior Member

I have a 2009 HD2500 Hemi with over 107,000 miles and I have not had one single problem with the 5.7 Hemi. The 5.7 litre Hemi engine will out perform the Ford engine of equivilant specs any day of the week.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the specs are the same, wouldn't the performance be the same?