1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Comparing trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crazygator, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

I am looking for another truck this year. I didnt think this thread fit in any of the truck threads.

I am looking at either a Ford F-250/F-350 diesel 4x4 extra cab or crew cab, or a Dodge 2500/3500 4x4 extra cab. Not sure which one to go with and needed your thoughts.

Auto or Stick? What about dually's?
    Which truck is better overall and why?

I will set it up for snow and ice management here (which isnt much) plus it will be my lawn maintenance truck as well. Pulling trailers with mowers, hauling stuff to the dump and mulch installs.

Thanks for all the professional opinions and ideas, just dont try to help me spend all my money, ok? :D

2. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

The brand really doesn't matter . One thing I would say is that those extra cab are great for a family but really not for plowing. Once you have aplow on that rig you are about 20 feet long. I know I have one , I do like having a dump truck 3500. A must is automatic trany.

3. MWM

MWM Junior Member

Crazygator,
    Will you use this truck only for work or will it serve as your personal vehicle as well? If it is only for work I would recomend a short wheel base 1 ton stake bed dump. If one truck had to be one size fits all this would come closest. We have a Chevy 3500 dual wheel 1 ton that in winter carries a 9' straight blade plow and a vee spreader. In the other 3 seasons it can haul mulch, soil, brush or could pull a trailer of mowers or a skidloader.
    If you want to use it for a personal vehicle this may not be the one but for all purpose yardage it gets my vote.

4. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

It will be personal use as well, so family size is a must. Although 90% of its use will be work related.

Thanks!

5. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We run 2 of the Dodge 2500 LB quad 4x4 diesals. 1 automatic, 1 5 speed. we've been pushing with these trucks since 1997. (bought 2 new ones in 2000). Yes they are long. We love em. Sticks are nice for some applications but the auto is the way to go. Autos are covered under FULL warrenty while the clutch in the 5 spd is not. We pull small and large trailers around a reletaviley small city. Lots of small streets. You get used to it. It is nice to have 2 of the same looking trucks. Especially with you name on the side. We do get noticed. We currently run Meyer 9' blades with SnoEx tailgate spreaders. We nearly alway load both trucks with 2 full pallets of chemical or salt or sand. They have held up very very well. As you can imagine, Employees tend to tear up things a lot auicker than you would! :eek: Good luck

6. MWM

MWM Junior Member

Ok skip what I said. A 1 ton stake bed just won't get it when taking out the chosen one. How about this? A F250 or 2500 crew cab short bed with a dump trailer. The truck can accomodate the family and still serve as the power wagon for the dump trailer that can haul and dump most of your needs. BTW, what was our budget of your money to spend?:waving:

7. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I don't know what truck you have Doctordo, but my 250 PSD Supercab w/8' box(156" WB) is 21' by itself . With the plow it's over 24':eek:

Crazygator,

I don't want to get into the "Brand Wars"! But I'm partial to the Fords and wouldn't have anything else for a work truck. But I know lot's of guy's with Dodge's that say the same about theirs! Hey, that's why there is chocolate and vanilla.

I can only relate my experience. My SD is an Auto, SRW, 2.5 years old, has 90k mi. on it, plows with a 8.5 Western V and 700lbs of salt, tows 10k lbs almost daily any other time and the only "factory" problem it's had was some sagging front springs that were replaced under warranty when it was 2 mos. old(before the plow was installed). Now granted, it is far from "stock" now;)

My only concern with recommending a Ford in the configuration you are looking for would be the warranty. You will not be able to get a plow prep pkg. with a SC or CC and a PSD. But it will depend on your dealer wether they will still honor the warranty or not. Mine did. Just be honest with them up front and see what they say. If you go with a Ford, you will want to order it with X front springs, or have them installed. It's a must!

Good luck,

Greg

8. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

Budget? Whats that, especially when looking at the trucks we have listed?

Honestly, I am probably going used with 30-40k miles to find a good one. Hopefully we can keep this in the 20-30k price range. Granted price can go up fast with more bells and whistles, but we will just have to see.

Think we can get close now?

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Are you buying used late model,or a brand new truck? If new Id buy the Dodge 2500/3500SRW quad cab short box.GEt it with the 305hp HO Cummins.The truck has monster 14" brakes,a perfectly sized cab,big enough for adults in a pinch,forward opening doors and yet it isnt long and difficult to manuever like the Ford Crew cab swb F250/350 series.If used its a toss up either is good,Id buy whichever you could find a better deal on,or the cleanest truck.My buddy has a f250SD same configuration as my Dodge. I drive his truck once in a while.I like it,but I love how much more agile my Dodge feels,it turns much tighter,and is much easier to plow with in tight spots.The Ford has an awesome roomy crew cab,if you dont mind the big turning radius,it is probably the most comfortable truck by far.

10. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

Not that it matters much but in my most recent Motor Trend magazine they gave the dodge ram hemi and the bigger duelly as trucks of the year. If nothing else it is worth picking up to read about all the trucks they tested

11. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Now how'd I know you'd say that John:D :D ;)

Greg

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

I kinda figured John would say that too,but can you blame him. :)

I've owned Chevy's,Fords and Dodge's and they are all good trucks.Either truck you mentioned would be a good choice.The Ford crew cab is nice for the family,but a tad large to turn around in tight lots.The Dodge quad cab is smaller,but OK if you've got smaller kids.

I'd have to vote for the Dodge,for the Cummins Turbo Diesel.Once you've owned one you'll understand.I just rolled over 350,000 on my plow truck (97 Ram CTD),and haven't really touched much,even the original trans.All the other rams in our fleet have had very few problem as well,none powertrain related,all cosmetic and interior stuff,cause the guys can be kinda rough sometimes.

13. John DiMartino

I am a little partial,but when something works you stick with it.My poor Dodge gets the snot drivin out of it,the only problem the truck has had is the tcase seal went bad last yr,and one lift pump .Greg if it makes you feel any better I am looking for a used crew cab PSD.Now if i could only find one with a blown motor,so i could swap in a 12V Cummins:D .

14. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

ROTFLMAO:D :D

Hey, I'm putting together a Diesel Drag Day at Cecil County Dragstrip this summer. It'd be great if you could make it down! ;) I'll let you know when I get the date firmmed up.

Greg

15. lawncare3

lawncare3 Junior Member

I can get you a deal on something dodge,mercedees :D, chrysler, jeep. (dad works for chrysler)

16. John DiMartino

Greg, depending on when you have it I may be able to go.Its a 4 1/2 hr ride for me,ill have to find a place to stay.if there is any way I can make it I will, Im always game for smoking performance cars at the strip.:D

17. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

One thing about the Dodge is that the shift lever is postioned much better and when you shift between reverse and drive it isn't sloppy like the ford. Also it doesn't wait for a second before going into gear. I do all driveways so it is lots of back and forth and I can't stand the ford shift lever. It's ok if you just put the truck in drive and go to the store but if you are flipping back and forth hundreds of times each night the truck better be right. The turning radius with Dodge is MUCH tighter. One big advantage of a Ford is reliablity but with regular maintenance a Dodge should do fine.

18. flmusj

flmusj Junior Member

Greg
    Are you going to have any Semi trucks at this event. I have 2 Peterbilt trucks with Detroit 12v71's with 4 turbo's and 2 super chargers on them. Fastest time 12.01 115MPH. Let me know they maybe available for exhibition.

There is a truck event already scheduled at MIR.

19. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

flmusj ,

Thanks!, I will let you know

:D

Greg

20. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

one of the 4 wheel magzines just did a story on converting a ford to a cummins