1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Comparing plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HitchC&L, Mar 24, 2008.

1. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

I am giving a speech tomorrow comparing the Fisher EZV 8'6" and the Boss Power V 8'2"

I have looked around, but search is kinda hard because just about any thread ever has the words boss and fisher in it.

Im not looking for GO FISHER responses, im looking for more technical information, I have to have some facts to back this up.

What I have found so far, other than the regular small stuff:

1. I like the curb guards in the cutting edge of the boss.

2. I like the chain lift with the fisher

3. I like the stainless steel option of the fisher

4. I like the trip edge on the fisher

I have read about a difference in how they connect, some saying there is a weakness with the bosses, could someone explain this better?

Basically, could you give me some technical information that makes one better than the other.

Thank you so much

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The chain lift is very sloppy and allows the plow to bounce up and down ALOT more. JMO

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

1) the curb guards are very nice feature with the boss.
    2) the chain lift is what i prefer.
    3) the stainless steel option is with the fisher extreme V not the EZV.
    4) i also like trip edge.

well as for mounting. the fisher i think it better because it is a very simple manual mount system. the boss has the automatic mount where you drive in and flick a switch and it mounts. only problem is if the switch goes bad or there is a short. you cant mount the plow. that is one advantage i see.

the chain lift allows you to stack snow higher.

the chain lift also allows for a better float that the cylinder lift of the boss.

the extreme V has the locking cylinders (forget the actual name) that keep the moldboard in place while backdraggin and pushing in the straight blade position.

all around id say the extreme V is better.

4. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Sorry, I meant Xtreme V. I knew something didnt look right as I tpyed it out, and almost went to recheck it, but figured hell with it. EZV is the old V right?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How technical do you need to be Hitch?

Overview:

Boss:

• A little lighter than an Xtreme V
    • Simpler than most Vee's. Modular valve/coil manifold. Uses 7 valves/coils and 4 hoses to perform all 6 functions.
    • Easy to service/repair/diagnose
    • Cylinder lift, no slack, instant raise. Few moving/wearing parts for lifting purpose.
    • Hydraulics are shielded from the weather (no water intrusions issues, no vents to freeze)
    • Standardized truck side wiring. Allows the ability to use any RT3 series plow, straight or Vee with the same truck, no wiring changes required.
    • Very reliable and fast hydro's
    • Super easy to connect/disconnect
    • CAN BE ATTACHED MANUALLY IF THE SMART HITCH DIES
    • Good parts interchangeability. Less repair parts needed on hand.
    • Need the Smart lock cylinders on the Vee for efficient back dragging due to the standard single acting wing cylinders (most Vee's use double acting wing cylinders).
    • Easy to transfer between trucks.
    • Full moldboard trip.
    • No positive wing stops (may lead to bent/broken wings)
    • Greasable center hinge pin for easy service.

Fisher:

• Uses 11 valves in two separate manifolds, and 6 hoses to control 6 functions.
    • Very reliable mechanicals
    • Considerable amount of non simplified wiring/configurations.
    • Well built.
    • One of the heaviest Vee's to a comparable sized plow.
    • Backdrag well with the double acting wing cylinders and steep attack angle.
    • Partially wired with Multiplex wiring, (Multiplex is virtually impossible to field diagnose with a test light, but reliable.)
    • Uses an extra plow side control module to interpret the command signals from the Multiplexing.
    • Some have positive wing stops to lessen stress on center hinge
    • Under hood solenoid mounted on plow.
    • Trip edge

6. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Fisher now has a curb guard too

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing wild as differences. What about the Western Vee? I'd say it's a better boss. What about the plows ability at throwing snow, attack angle's and cost of replacements parts. I also consider longevity in both mechanical and appearance and easy of mounting ( not what the companies advertise but, how it really works ) and safety of the unit. But, when all else fails .... I need to know about the company and their support of their product.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

9. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

I gave the speech this morning, it went great. Thanks for the great info, I owe you all

10. plowman4life

glad to hear the speach went good.

what exactly was it for? your company or some sort of promotion thing.

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I was wondering the same thing...I would have made some comments to help you but have no first hand experience with the two blades you were discussing.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

How does a chain lift allow you to stack higher? I can already stack 8' + high piles with the Boss V (height usually depandant on type of snow) so how much higher can a truck actually stack?

Never had any problem with float either.

Can someone educate me on the chain lift? I mean, besides the 'short chaining' that I've never needed anyways.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Old habits die hard. When we bought our first boss in 1998, everyone told me they were junk. Too many moving parts and no lift chain, Well 10 years later, were still using that blade and the guys that gave me the most grief, all own Boss's now. Once you get rid of that chain, there's no going back. JMO

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A need to regularly short chain would say poor hydraulic reliability to me.

15. plowman4life

idk how it stacks higher. thats what they all say. i was just telling him. i can stack snow just as high as you can.

you have your opinion i have mine thats what plows are all about. you like boss i like fisher. we own and have owned boss plows and just had really bad luck with them.

idk about you. but as long as i have been plowing. ive never short chained the plow. nor have i had any mechanical problems that have stopped me from finishing a storm. cant say the same for the boss plows we have owned.

16. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

CAN I SAY IT NOW?

GO FISHERussmileyflag

17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Very nice!

We still haven't found out what he used it for. Heck, for all we know he works for Boss & wanted input!! ;)

18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Hey plowman... just noticed in your signature that the same truck has 2 different plows, the xtreme V & XLS -- is that true?

19. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

We've peed Fisher Yellow for almost 40 years. We did try one Boss and one Western over the years. This year we bought 2 Hiniker Poly Vee's. It'll be a while before I look at another Fisher.:yow!: