1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Comparing plow times between trucks and plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pcs, Nov 19, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Let's say there is a lot that takes 2.5h with a F-350 PSD and a 8' 2" v plow.

How long would that lot take with a smaller truck like a F-150 with 7' 6" straight plow?

I would just like to know how much more a bigger truck can do with a bigger plow.
  2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

With thta only being 6" wider before it is angled it would not seem like it would make that much difference in "bite" however the f-150 not carrying as much weight (providing it gets enough traction to make that equal) would move more quickly in reverse?
    Also it would brake a little later I would think not having as much weight to slow down.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Lot of variables:

Driver (which makes more of a difference than equipment)

Site: Does the snow have to be carried a long way that the V-plow will really have a major advantage.

Tires, amount of snow, etc.

With ALL things equal, probaly add 30 to 45 minutes to the 2.5 hours.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Not knowing the actual size of the lot and its layout its very hard to give an accurate answer to that question but the best way to answer it is to say it depends :rolleyes: .

If your plowing a fairly straight foward lot that does'nt have many odd angles or particular places that the snow has to go the advantage of the V-plow is not as great. However if the lot IS like that, than the V is as much 50% faster IMO.

When it comes to size it also depends on the type of area to be plowed, how much snow and what type snow is it. If its an average size lot that is roughly 10-15k sq. ft. a large truck that has the weight and horsepower will have a serious advantage over a smaller truck if the snow is 5" of wet cement. But if its five inches of powder then the advantage is considerably less. The size of the truck should be determined by a couple of factors at least, how large alot will you plow?, How often will you be plowing the lot? what types of storms are the most common in your area (powder or wet?) What will you do with the truck in the offseason? Personaly if I had my choice I'd plow with the bigger of the two trucks you mentioned. Good luck!
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2001
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I think you'd be taxing that 150 far beyond its capabilities. Not only will the 350 do the job quicker, but you'll have much fewer breakdowns. It's almost always better to have a machine that is a little bigger than actually needed, this way it's not always working at the max.
  6. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I have both trucks. I was just wondering how much time my F-350 is going to save me over a F-150.

I haven't plowed with the 350 yet and I can't wait to!!!

Pelican01- My F-150 surprises me. I to thaught I wouldn't be able to plow to well with it but it makes out o.k.

Hopefully now that I have the bigger truck the 150 would have to work as hard.
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

To say a truck won't be effective as another is one thing. To say a truck is not good for plowing is another. Each situation is different. I run two f350's and a Toyota 4x4 pickup. People look at me funny for running that. With its 7 ft plow the driver can actually do most driveways faster then the bigger trucks. Even the one I have with the V. Any truck will be productive and safe if the driver is careful and wroks well. Lets remember that not everyone can afford the best (if we could agree on this) plow trucks. 7'6" is better than 0'.
  8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Ayyyyy Say Boy!!!!!

Boy, Ayyyy Say Boy !!!! quit your joshin!

They say size don't matter.

Remember its not the size of the gun.... its the effect of the bullet boy!!!!

You can have a small truck, skidsteer or loader with an experienced I say experienced operator and that vehicle will do more than the Biggesst baddest truck and plow or piece of equipment with an novice operator.

You have to know your equipment, its capabilities and your job sites. Then and only then will you truly become a Jedi

May the Force be with You Luke!!!!
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last winter my 150 '90 Dodge with 7.5' surprised a lot of people. Especially the guy who saw it push 14" of wet snow uphill for 1/4 mile. It was fully angled and the snow was rolling 2' above the blade, but the truck made it. Now this year I'm anxious to see what the Chevy 3500 6.5 diesel with a 9' can do.
  10. plowjockey

Brain fade I completely missed the "v" in the original post. Most say at least 35% to 50% more productive with the v-plow.

11. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The difference between the vee and straight plow is where the time will change. Vee will be 30-50% faster, depending on how the lot is set up. With identical blades I don't think there would be much difference between any two trucks. For a while we ran 8' straight Sno-Way plows on a K1500 and an S-10. A good share of the time the S was actually faster on a given lot, due to the manueverability. Virtually NO difference in practical pushing capability, either truck could push a full blade, the full size, due to having more power could push it faster on a long run, but the S could "get around" better. I've since run the S against a buddy with a K3500 2 yd dump pushing about a 3" snowfall. He had a 9' Fisher against my 8' Sno-Way and was marginally faster, but again, in shuck and jive plowing the S was more nimble and could hold it's own.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

"shuck and jive plowing"

Now theres a term you don't hear everyday! I like it though!

My 150 with a 7'6" Pro plow always does better than I think it will. It is a short box, so it is much better in residential than my 3/4 ton with V and Backblade. I've never really had any issues with it reaching its maximum capabilities.

I'll never go back to driving it myself, however . :)
  13. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

How many of you guys have back-up alarms????I will get some complaints this year, my new truck has an alarm and I plow as needed as my route is long.

14. plowjockey

I run them on both my trucks. I don't know what the public thinks of them but my insurance agent loves the idea.
    When I used to work on an ambulance we had a driver back into someone who asked afterword" what were those big lights (rear scene lights) and that beeping sound?" DUHH!!