1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Comparing 8611 to 860sw

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by joeco129, Feb 20, 2007.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Is there anyone out there that has used both plows and can compare? Or share your likes and dislikes on both of them?

What do you guys prefer? The speed wing seems very convenient in that you don't need to use any buttons for the wings... What are the downsides your finding having them go in and out automatically... where the 8611 you are in control...

I have an 8' Western pro ultramount... but looking for a new plow and have been interested in possible Blizzard. Any help is appreciated.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have a lot of time on 8611's and a little on an 860 SW. 2 full size 8611's, 2 8611 LoPros and 1 860 Speedwing.

To be blunt, Speedwings are the poor man's power plow. It does a great job, it takes some getting used to compared to a Power plow but is still infinitely better than a V-plow or straight plow. If there weren't PowerPlows on the market, I'd have these on my trucks.

The Power Plow will save you a minimum of 30% of your time on most parking lots if not all of them. It is heavier and will backdrag better than the SpeedWing.

The SpeedWing does seem to be a wee plow after using a PowerPlow, but it is all a matter of perception. The SpeedWing I have is not on a first out truck, although it is getting used more and more as that. The PowerPlows are all first out trucks and will be more efficient, but over time they will probably increase your repairs because of the weight.

HTH

3. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Why do you say the 8611 power plow is better than a V plow?

4. Mark Oomkes

Carrying capacity, windrowing, scraping ability.

We had some large lots that we had a 30% reduction in times--documented--over a 9'6" V-plow.

And they scrape better.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'll agree with that 10000% Our Extreme V will not carry the capacity of snow that a 8611 would. Live and learn I guess. And our v doesn't back drag for crap IMO, it still leaves about an inch or two after 4-6ft of back dragging. Maybe Jerre will give me a great deal on a trade in.:p

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Quick ?.....What is the difference between an 8611 and a 8611LP? :confused:

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Lower Profile (as in mold board) 34" versus 31"
    Thinner gauge metal 11 versus 12 on the moldboard
    less ribs 6 versus 4
    cutting edge on the wings 3/8" versus 1/4"
    and the biggie,,,, less weight. 1470lbs versus 1083 lbs

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks, I didnt know there was a difference!:)

9. pjw

pjw Junior Member

8611 & 8611lp

I am very interested in the 8611 also. What size truck will handle the 8611`s weight ?? I do a resid. & small comm. mix. I like the idea of 8`6 for driveways & go wide when needed. I am looking at F-550 (gasser) with a flatdeck body.:redbounce

10. Mark Oomkes

With a 550, go with the full size. It's stronger and the extra height is well worth it. I have full size on both my 550's. You'll need some ballast. And you'll also end up using the plow fully extended alot more than you think. It's great not having to get as close to the edges when plowing by having the wings extended.

11. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I had an 810 went to the 860sw, it's not a poor mans plow. Less than $500 difference. The speed wing is great and I can do anythig that I ever did with my 810.It can Bucket blade, back drag a wide pass, wind row ,hold snow while plowing around a turn . It is a lighter than a power plow ,but that is good thing. My 810 beat the sh*t out of the front end of my 03 f 350 w 5.4 .I liked my 810 but the speed wing is great and I don't miss the 810. Now if you compare it to a 8611 thats a little different, but still more efective than a straight 8'6" plow. I only back blade a wide pass at my condos and do all of the drives at once so 30 seconds to pin the wings doesn't matter. It's 3" narrower than an 810. If I tried to drag a full load of snow with my 810 the wings would fold in anyways. My SW scrapes better than our western so it's not all bad. A broom would scape good if it weighed 1500lbs !!! This is just my REAL world opinon