1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Comparing 2 LED Mini Bars... Help Please!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Daybreak, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Daybreak

Daybreak Junior Member

After lots of reading and searching, I belive I have narrowed it down to these two lights and was hoping for some firsthand opinions on either...good or bad. I have been leary about going to the LED bars because they just never seemed to attract attention like my good ole double rotator will. But after seeing some of the newer styles, I think they may throw more light then I think?? Or should I stick with a rotator? I live in the UP of Michgan and usually plow well over 200" a year. I have a lot of driveways on county highways and I like to be seen as well as possible when backing up near traffic!

These were my top 2 choices, both Whelen.... Opinions very much appreciated!

--The "Responder" with the 6 Linear LED's

-The "Century" Series, in the 23" legnth. 4 corner Linear LED's, and 8 more modules in the middle.

Thumbs Up
  2. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I have the responder and I think it puts out just as much light as a rotator. It has very good off axis light output and great pop, even during daylight hours.
  3. Daybreak

Daybreak Junior Member

Thanks for the comment, SB.

Spent a while on the phone tonight talking with a few different people and the concensous seems to be that the Responder will be brighter than the Century.

I guess without seeing them in person, I'll have to go with that. It just seems that for about the same price, the 23" Century would be brighter because its much bigger, and has 4 of the lin6 modules as well as 4 of the standard modules, vs. the Responder with just the 6 lin6 mods. But what do I know!

I have yet to find anybody who has the Century to give that side of the comparison.

Thanks again!
  4. I would not go to LEDs from a double rotator halogen living in a lake effect area where you get hammered with snow storms that dump close to a foot an hour. The DOT in my area just loves cleaning off them new LED stoplights in a bucket in the middle of a busy intersection after a storm because they don't make any heat to melt the snow that gets trapped in the sunshades.
  5. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Both are very good bars but the responder is much much brighter and so nice I use it myself when plowing.
  6. Daybreak

Daybreak Junior Member

I ended up going with the Responder and I couldn't be happier. VERY bright and great looking as well. It's surprisingly brighter than my double rotator.

The customer service at Strobes N more was second to none! I ordered it at 9am the day after a hurricane. By 4pm that day it was on a truck and on its way. They were also great at answering my questions and clearing any doubts. Pretty rare these days! Thanks!