1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compairing salters

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Feb 20, 2007.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

So I am buying a salter next year to salt some parking lots I am contracting and I am wondering which ones you guys like and what you've found out about them, Pro & Cons. I am looking into getting the boss 6 cubic yard salter or the snow way 6 cubic yard salter, or a buyers salter. I do like the fact you can shut off the flow of salt out of the hopper on the snow way salter, and I do like the boss smart hitch salter but I am not doing that much salting so I don't want to spend more than 1,500 bucks. I can get the boss 6 cubic yard salter for 1,200 bucks installed. But I would like to know what you guys think. Thanks guys.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

so do you mean 6 cubic feet??
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I think you mean 6 cubic feet not (yards) a 6 yard spreader would be the size of a truck itself. I am selling our Meyers mini, its in new condition..... sand blasted down and repainted, brand new higher out put motor (which was sealed 1000 times better than original) and possibly comes with a 1 week old Sure-Flow vibrator (if you wanted to spread bulk salt). It also has 2 new lights to see where the salt is going. It fits into a 2" receiver, all wiring in great shape, and the control is like new. This spreader can hold 400lbs of salt. Pm me if interested, I am looking to get at least 1000 bucks for it with the vibrator and 800 without vibrator. Remember it has a brand new heavier duty motor, brand new $236.11 vibrator (installed 1st week of Feb.) and a newer controller (replaced in 05), and was blasted and re-painted this year.

I did mean feet sorry about that. I am buying a new truck in the spring with a salter already on it of my choice. Boss, snow way or buyers. I am just wondering which one is better. I would like the boss salter because I run a boss vee blade so I would like to keep everythign the same you know. But if people are having problems with them then I don't want to be at the boss dealer every couple of days or whatever getting parts you know.

5. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Boss has had some problems with bigger tailgate spreader with the stand not moving and some other things. My dealer has stopped carrying the Boss spreaders because they were sick of dealing with the problems. Saw the smaller one at a trade show and it looks really slick, there would one on my truck if I had already bought the 575.

One of my subs has a Sno-way spreader and all he does is complain about it. But he trys to run treated bulksalt without a vibrator.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I would go bigger right away, because most likely you will end up salting more than you think as customers want more and more.

HMM! Now it sounds like I am going to have to decide which one I want. I guess they are all going to have problems, thats just something that can't be avoided. I am going to be running bagged salt thru it and not bulk salt. I talked to my dealer the other day about them and he said that the snow way was more thought thru when they made it because of the "salt chunk buster" it is not a auger and they use bolts. I guess the auger would make things a little more difficult because the auger would just make the salt spin around and the bolts would make it drop lower and lower in the hopper. Make sense? But I am a boss snow plow guy so I think I am going to go with the boss but I still am going to do some rearch on them because I don't feel like having alot of down time with it you know.

Troy what salter do you have, 575? Boss?

8. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Im running a 575. Good spreader but to small. Mark is right, go big right off the bat. It gets really old having to get out of the truck every couple minutes to put in 7 bags.

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

Agreed. It royally sucks to have to manually load the damn thing. I could not justify spending that kind of money on something that I had to do the work on. If I have to load it, I might as well buy a good fertilizer spreader and do it that way. Look into the western tornados next season, I am sure youll snatch one up real cheap!
  10. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

I bought the Buyers low Profile one,, holds 800Lbs or about 15 bags,, Only have to load it once on the Comm Lot I'm doing, It's throws product about 25 feet wide at full tilt, Has a nice controller from 1-9 speeds,, a burst speed option for those tricky areas. I got it an Angelos in Farminton Hills, Mi for bout 975 out the door, That included a Reciever hitch mount bracket,, Been nothing but happy with it, Just got back from pre-treating the lot, expecting snow, then, wintery mix, what ever the heck that is, then more snow.
    I Love winter payup