1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compact Wheel Loaders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Anyone have experience with compact wheel loaders? We blew the engine in our full sized Volvo loader and the rebuilding cost is pretty much the same as purchasing a Cat 904B.

We would want it for loading trucks and scraping parking lots. I'm planning on putting on the biggest snow bucket possible when loading trucks. The standard bucket only hold 1.3 yds heaped

Input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Our Gehl 680 is awesome. Great for plowing with a 12' blade, also just high enough reach for easily loading quadaxles with heaping loads of snow
  3. Gr8WhiteNorth

Also, we have a Boss BX-12. Too much for it @ 10,000lbs?
  4. Gr8WhiteNorth

I checked out the Gehl. Looks like a little beast. Its 2000lbs heavier, 1ft higher lift, and 20 hp more. I wonder it the CAT is too small??
  5. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Cat 904 is a pretty small machine......how about a 906 or 908 if youre looking at a Cat?

Also subscribing because I think a compact loader will be the next snow purchase for us and I'm looking to continue to gather all the opinions and insight I can. I basically just want the biggest mini I can get that still uses the universal skid steer quick connect.
  6. Perry.

Perry. Member

7. dycproperties

dycproperties Member

We have a terex tl120 and it has been great we bought it new last year and it has done everything we have asked and then some it pushes a 12ft box every storm and scrapes and loades trucks in between.
  8. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

I bought 3 Deere 324J loaders last fall. We love them. We run 12ft Arctics on them. Great machines, visibility is awesome. Wish I could have 20 of them
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

What sized lots are you going to be doing. Our Dresser weighs about 18,000lbs and with the BX12 I think it is a great combo. Sometimes it struggled but that was more due to the tires, they were brand new but AG type tread.
  10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

They are all we use in the loader department. We have 3 244j's, a terex, and rent two more 244J's. They have 12 foot blades and move a ton of snow. Nothing but good to say
  11. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have a new holland wb50 which weights in at almost exactly 10,000 lbs. I think it's like a 50 hp.

But it does have ag tires on it.

It runs a 12 ft box or a 10 ft blade. Awesome either way.

When we are relocating snow with wet packed down crap dug out of a pile it sometimes struggles with a full 12 ft box but we are pushing around an S bend with a full box.

We have had a couple snows deep enough so that when winrowing with the plow enough it gets pushed sideways. But it always works with a backhoe and they tag team it. Winrows are usually higher than the plow at this point. And they are at schools that on weekends are not a priority.
  12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Couple other things. Only machine, 10k is not big enough in my opinion.

I like backhoes because of summer extra work, but a baby wheel loader is so maneuverable it's unbelievable. It feeds the backhoes like 2 trucks on steroids.
  13. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I used to have the Cat 906 and 908 and got rid of them and bought the Deere 244J. All I have to say is the 244J is by far better machine and prob one of the best purchases I made.
  14. Gr8WhiteNorth

The Deere 244's travel speed kills the CAT. That is a big consideration. Do I spend the extra $10k to get there 50% faster? Driving around as slow as a bobcat sucks