1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compact tractors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94gt331, Nov 21, 2012.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Was really considering a tractor as my next purchase to add to the snow fleet. I could use some more equiptment to keep up with my accounts. I have a variety of driveways, commercial lots, apartment complex's, long lanes up hills etc and was looking for something that could handle alot of heavy snowfall. My thought was a compact tractor. What do you guys recomend for tractor, or what do you run. Any pictures or videos in action would be awesome. Pro's and Con's if you guys can. Thanks!!

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

For a trator to do all of what you listed and do it well it won't be a very compact tractor. I would think you are looking at 50hp minimum.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with this. The problem with tractors is the power to weight, lots of power, but weight is light which transfers into traction issues until you get into the larger units.

4. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I deffinately would be looking for 50hp plus range. I would like a tractor that could handle deep snow well especially going up hills.

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Both JD Dave & Neige (Paul Vanderzon) have a bunch of videos on YouTube. Out tractor is a JD 5101 set up with an inverted blower for driveways. The best setup I saw for parking lots would be with the HLA snow wing.