1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compact tractor traction vs. hp

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fms, Nov 4, 2008.

1. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

We maybe buying a compact tractor with an hydraulic plow blade and Hurd or Curtis spreader. One of the dealers is trying to max me out on HP stating that I'm going to need the HP to push snow vs. snow blowing; which we do with another compact tractor.
    My feeling is that with 18-24 HP, ballasted with 200lbs of salt, 4wd and locking differential I'm going to break traction before I ever need the HP.
    We're getting rid of a set up RTV900 (A little wide and if you load the front end it doesn't want to shift from L to R) for the compact tractor.
    Sidewalk use only.
    Any opinions?

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Compact tractors work horibal pushing snow but they do work good with a snowblower.

3. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Why would it work worse than an RTV900 or other UTV?

4. mercer_me

With a UTV the weight is spread ou more evenly unlike a tractor, with a tractor all the weight is in the front and the rear weals don't get much traction.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So I guess the same could be said for a larger tractor?

6. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Wouldn't the Hurd spreader with 200lbs of calcium create enough balance?

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

OP clearly says 4 WHEEL DRIVE and locking diff

mercer have you ever used a tractor in snow or even dirt

8. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I'm not sure how big of a blade you are using, I have a 5030 Kubota (44 pto hp) with a loader and 8ft pusher. There is a 3pt hitch blade on the rear for ballast. I find it pushes more snow than my 9-2 BOSS V's. Hope this helps.

9. PBinWA

PBinWA Junior Member

Depends on the tires. R4's (Industrial) don't work very good on ice. Chains help a lot.

10. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

I have a L48 Kubota and a B7800 Kubota. The L48 is 48 HP has a back hoe for ballest. We use a 8 FT power angle plow. The whole set up weights about 8000 lbs. The plow has hinged side panels so we can make it into a box plow. It pushes alot of snow. We are very happy with this tractor. Tne B7800 has only been used a few times to clear side walks with the bucket. It also has a back hoe for ballest. It works real well, but it lacks an enclosed cab and heat. This one is 3000lbs.

11. mercer_me

Yes I have. I have a 1970's Allis Chalmers 50hp, and I have used a 2003 John Deere 40hp 4x4 and both tractors suck in the snow, all they do is spin.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm I think I might be doing something wrong then, but if Mercer says so. LOL

SANY0049.jpg

13. cretebaby

I guess we know what dave did all day

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think your right. LOL

15. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

You better take those all back and get something that works JD :rolleyes:

Nice looking fleet btw. :drinkup:

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks Tom,:drinkup:

17. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Very nice fleet!

My little TC 40 pushes an 8ft pusher with ease! ;)

18. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Oh no, Dave why didn't you tell me that my new JD 3720 wouldn't push any snow before I bought it??;) Seem's I must have bought a very expensive paper weight, at least I got a hat out of it. Very nice looking fleet by the way:drinkup:

19. cretebaby

neither of these tractors have a model number

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry about that. LOL