1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compact Tractor / Pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KFX450RXC, Oct 19, 2015.

1. KFX450RXC

KFX450RXC Member

Down here in central NC, we rarely get big snows. When we do get snow, its typically 2"-6". Of course, we can get more but that's even more rare. I maintain approximately 8-10 parking lots. Typical lots with little or no driveways. Walkways are between the buildings and the lots so we usually have to clear the walkways into the parking lot and then work the parking lot clean.

Last year I used a 7'6" Meyer hooked up to the front end loader of my New Holland T2220. I also have a Polaris Sportsman 850 XP with a 60" Glacier Pro. Then some snow pushers for hand tools.

I'm no snow pro like you northern fellas. This is my third winter for snow work and although we do pretty well considering, I'm always looking for ways to be more efficient.

A local farm equipment supplier near here sells snow pushers for front end loaders. One model even has an optional pull-back kit. They come in 6', 7' and 8' lengths.

Am I wrong in thinking this could be a better option for my tractor? Pushing the 7'6" Drive Pro is no problem for the tractor. Sometimes when the snow gets banked up pretty good, I have to back off some or it pushes the back end around but unless we have BIG snow, I'm thinking a 7' pusher with the pull-back kit would be a better choice. Is pushing 6" snow levels not a good idea for a 34hp tractor? I still have the Drive Pro so I could use either one, depending on conditions with each snow storm. Two years ago before I had the Drive Pro, I used the bucket of the tractor. That was terrible for the bucket but no problem for the tractor pushing it through.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

We are of course biased but would suggest looking into our compact Sno Pusher models. On this page you will be able to find the required specs and pricing. Based on your tractor's horsepower we would suggest not using anything bigger than a 6' or 7' compact model.

Pro-Tech also offers a pullback option for skidsteers but those require more HP than your tractor offers. Whether you choose a Pro-Tech Sno Pusher or not please be cautious if you go with a pullback style containment plow. We've had customers purchase pullback units before ensuring their tractor has enough articulation to perform the pullback motion.
  3. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Keep the blade so you can angle and windrow heavy snow, look for wings for your plow for containment. JMO.