1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compact Tractor for Residential Drives

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DSLND, Mar 3, 2008.

1. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Hey There,

I have been running idea through my head for the last few days.

Once I get my license (2009) I am going to put a plow/salter on my truck, and take on enough work for a three hour route (due to school).

But in the future, I would also like to maybe gain a lot more residential accounts, mainly in my neighborhood. If I was able to get enough, I would buy a second vehicle. I was thinking about the idea of having a compact tractor (JD 3320?) and have a blade on the back, and the loader in front. I would take the truck and go into town and do my route, while another guy takes the tractor and does residential driveways.

Another great thing about the tractor, is that the more I advance into landscaping, the higher the demand is for one. Now there isn't a huge demand right now, but in the next few years I am really growing my company.

What's your idea?

-Mitch-

2. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Mitch, thats a pretty good idea. Also the fact that it can stack snow is a huge bonus for the commercial places.

3. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks. I've ran my neighbor's 3320 for plowing at my house and a few neighbors and it did really great! The blade was awesome for getting everything clear, and the loader was there when I needed it!

-Mitch-

4. Sybran

Sybran Junior Member

we use a JD 3520 with a 6 ft blower on the back works great for residential the loader and blower also comes in handy for my commericials

5. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

2nd piece

A tractor blower combo would set you apart from most others. Piled snow is no longer an issue. Ability to stack at comm's a bonus. Plus you don't need a DL to operate. Very popular up here, looking to get one for next season.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Tractors are good
    IF
    you can keep all the accounts close by (because moving it around is SLOW and a PITA).
    It doesn't break.
    You have a bunch of very small tight areas that a pain to get a truck in.

A truck is more versatile, faster to get places, everyone understands how one works, and almost always is faster to actually plow an area.
    It's also much cheaper to run a truck per hour than a tractor. Tractor maintenance isn't cheap and neither are tractors.

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I used a garden tractor then a compact tractor the first few years I was plowing. Couple of things. GET A CAB!!!!!!!!!!! Also a frame mounted plow will make your life easy. If your going to get a snow blower. I wouldn't get a 3pt mount, been there and done that. Your neck will start to kill ya after 2 hours. Along with the front mounted is far easier to use.

If you get a small enough unit. Thats 4' wide when the blades angled, you can do use it to do side walks when you get bigger accounts. (this is what my little kubota now does instead of drivesways)