1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compact loaders

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Brad3403, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Has anyone used one of these? If so, what size containment plow could you run? TCM L4 Compact Loader or a KOMATSU WA30-5E. I tried to find the horsepower but so far have not had any luck.

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I will be interested to see what people say, it seems the HP on them is rather low for pushing, but then again I've never used one so what do I know.

I know peterbuilt is using a jd 244 and a couple volvo L20's?

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Its not the HP that matters, its the weight.

I can push 10 and 12ft units with my Volvos L20Bs and I will be pushing a 12ft with the 244J.

J.

4. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I pick up an L20 and an L30 next week on a rental basis. What size Pro-tech's should I run on them? I will need to drive them a couple of miles between sites. I can always drop the plows onto a trailer to move them if need be then drive the machine. I'v got a 12' to run on the Cat 908, haven't had any snow yet to try it out though.

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Like I said. 10 and 12fts are what I use and would recomend. Make sure they have steel edges, or you will have a ton of power robing box drag due to the rubber.

The volvos are also real slow, Only 12MPH. But I still road them all over the place. I am also using the Deere this year becasue its about 10MPH faster. You can get an L35 with a High spped package, but my dealer didn't have one like that in their enventory so I wasn't able to get it.

What letter 908 do you you have? The A's and B's are real slow as well. The new one goes something like 25MPH. Or so I have heard. It will also push a 14ft Arctic with out any problems at all.

J.

6. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

The 908 doesn't have a letter. I think its a 2005 or 2006. Do you use pushers with the skid steer attachment or chain them to the bucket.

7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Skid loader style.

The L35 will need an adaptor if you want to use a skid loader style.

8. turfguy87

turfguy87 Member
    from OHIO

9. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

I would never put steel on a pusher box. You will cause major damage if you hit something. Not only to what you hit, but to your machine as well. We got rid of the rubber too, but we switched over to poly edges from http://cuttingedgepoly.com. In my opinion this is the only way to go.

10. turfguy87

turfguy87 Member
    from OHIO

11. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ever heard of a trip edge?

13. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

Ingersoll rand made some nice machines the IR W350L were really nice, and the company we used to sub for would put 12 and 14ft pushers on them and would move quite a bit of snow with them. They are just hard to find now since they stopped making them

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Wait a minute, you mean they make......;)

15. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

not very common on snow pushers, but yes I have heard of them why do you ask?

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Very common around here now. Steel trip will pay for itself very quickly.

17. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Even when running into manholes? :D

18. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

Why would you waste your money on that? It makes no sense to me. My pushers with poly edges are perfect. Quiet and just enough give to do a great job. Our poly edges last longer than steel also, so I see no benefit.

19. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

yeah you're right, Dave has no clue!

20. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

How much does http://cuttingedgepoly.com. pay you to pimp there stuff? payup