1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compact loaders vs. Skid Steers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Plow man Foster, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone have experience with both??? I've used A skid steer and A HUGE loader. Never a compact loader. But i was just wondering if A compact loader does better than a skid in the snow.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Skidsteer is more manuverable, but those compact loaders can still push a lot, and they can be driven from lot to lot way easier/faster

3. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

It is like comparing a backhoe to a skid steer for snow. The compact loader is more like the backhoe and the skid steer is more like a skid steer. The skids are more compact and manuverable, have limitations on lifting weights, pushing stregth and stacking but have their places. Heck we run 2-speed Cat skids in open areas and run circles around trucks. The compact loader depending on size is more like running a large backhoe yet more manuverable. Both have their place and move lots of snow in the right senario, are they the same? No, its like asking if a straight blade does better then a v-blade or comparing apples to oranges. I hope the above at least gives you ideas to consider about the equipment your asking questions on.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  4. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ahhhhhh I see! I see!
    i think im going to go with one this year because i will use it for loading salt and pushing. Foundd it hard to do with our skids last year