1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compact loaders anyone?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by FinerCuts, Dec 16, 2010.

1. FinerCuts

FinerCuts Member
    from Iowa

Anyone on here use compact loaders for snow. I think these look like they would be extrememly effecient as they are fast and are heavy enough to push some serious snow. Of course nothing like a full size loader, but I have seen some set ups around near by malls and big commercial lots. A lot of people have one of these and a skid loader for parking lots and that is it, besides a truck to windrow and do around curbs. I want to see some pics!

2. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

This is the Volvo L20 we ran last season. We have a L25 this year ...... we run a 10' arctic on it. Love the machines, love the pusher. Pusher a bit more than a skid but you need a good operator.

HPIM1364.jpg

HPIM1365.jpg

3. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Looks sweet... Any idea what it weighs?

4. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Here's a pic dropping off our LW50 at a site. We use a bucket and 8' pusher on it.

IMAG0067.jpg

5. FinerCuts

FinerCuts Member
    from Iowa

Very nice so far guys! Whats everyone use on here for compact loaders? I have thought about adding one to the growing fleet, but when it comes to brand I don't have a clue! Everything looks great and lets keep them pictures coming.

6. Effinay

Effinay Member

I have this little guy I'm restoring and setting up with an old 7' Meyers.

7. Effinay

Effinay Member

Compact Loaders

WTF !! Can't seem to upload any pics. Got to go back to upload pics class ....AGAIN!!!!

8. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

i like mustang volvo and tachi alot......

9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

The compact Volvo's are a tough little machine. I have several pics posted of our old L35 stacking snow. Hard to beat the speed of compacts unless you are doing large open lots.
    This year we added a Deere 344j, but I'd hardly consider that a compact unit.

10. FinerCuts

FinerCuts Member
    from Iowa

One thing that I constantly find myself asking is these guys that have these big wheel loaders for snow and all these skid loaders, what percentage of them actually own the unit or rent them. Also if the majority of these companies with skids and loaders, are landscaping companies. I just find it hard to have 200k in units sitting during the summer. Even a compact loader I'm sure isn't cheap. What do they normally run new and then used?

11. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

I ran a Deere 244J a few winters back loading a lot of salt and doing some pushing with it too. I liked it a lot, comfy cab, good power, and quick!

12. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

I own my machinery because there is work for it in the summer doing construction and landscape construction so they work all year. Even those who don't have use can still justify the cost of ownership if they are planning to be in it for more than just the first season. If snow is the only use for it, renting is not a bad option either if the rates are decent, you can rent ridiculously expensive machinery relatively cheap in the winter when its not being used.

13. paponte

paponte Senior Member

We buy our loaders used. Depending on hours and size they typically range from $20k-$60k. You save on the initial cost, but you must look at machines carefully as repairs can be very costly. Upkeep is key, and you must be able to do most repairs in house.

14. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

we built an attachment for a customer who bought a new 344J this summer.. that's one nice machine. i'd sure love to have one to play with lol
    [​IMG]
    i think it had 21 hours on it

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  15. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Whats up with the corkscrew. It that a spreader attachment? Never seen one of those. Great Idea

16. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Love the compact loaders.

17. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

lol. that's actually for loading the bucket. it's built to pick up manure from under the pens on the local mink ranches. Most are mounted on farm tractors, but this customer wanted one on his new loader.:mechanic:

the auger telescopes out 30", and the bucket tilts like a 6-way dozor blade, so they can deal with uneven ground purplebou

here's a tractor mounted version, with a new operator learning how to run it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW_Dw8SFXD4

ok, highjack over prsport

18. rock18201

rock18201 Member
    from NEPA

I ran an L25 last winter with a 8foot snow pusher it did the job and was ok. i am use to running a backhoe or loader this year we bought a L50 i will post some pics of in action if we ever get anysnow.

19. FinerCuts

FinerCuts Member
    from Iowa

Sounds good! Keep the pics coming guys!

20. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Volvo unit is just shy of 11,000lbs. The arctic is about 1800lbs.