1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Compact Loader/not so compact bucket

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by SD-Dave, Feb 2, 2011.

1. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Here's some photos of my Deere 244J Loader. Can't tell you how much I love this machine. It is perfect for snow removal other than huge parking lots or runways. I have a Protech quick attach 10' full sized pusher for it...and just added a Craig snow bucket. Let me tell you this increased my snow moving ability by 200% over the GP 1.25 yd bucket that came with the machine.

The Craig is 3yds but more efficient than a standard bucket for a couple reasons.

Holes in bucket, I thought were to make it lighter.....which it does....but more importantly it releases air pressure allow the bucket to fill completely and when dumping empty completely. No more carry around half a bucket of snow all the time cutting your actual capacity in half. Also the bucket is built for greater roll back and as such you can heap and carry more snow.

Check out pictures....In some of them I have almost 5yds of snow in the bucket!! Not bad for a small machine!

Dave

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

2. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Looks AWESOME! (and fun). :D

3. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

That's great. How much did that set you back (the bucket)?

4. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

about the same amount as I did on the pusher....around $5K Pricey but just like the pusher when you figure efficiency operator time, fuel, machine wear/tear....it pays for itself quickly....plus a pretty low maintenance item :D

5. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

that things is great did you buy the mcahine new or used? what did the machine set you back? do you drive it site to site or trailer it?

6. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Bought it new.....can't recall exact price because I had a trade involved etc but close to $90K I drive it occasionally....goes about 20mph....also moved it with a deck-over trailer and a F-550....it weights about 12K

7. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

I've seen those buckets before while surfing the internet but never on a machine. I always thought they would be nice. Thats a nice machine. You need a group shot with your JD 5225

8. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks.....I will try to get a shot tomorrow as they will be together double teaming my parking lot....

9. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Sorry so busy today.....no time for a group shot.....did have to mount blower this afternoon....stand-by for photos of that

10. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

That is sweet! Nice looking machine

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

That is an awesome setup!Thumbs Up

12. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

I ran a 244J loading salt for part of the season a few years ago, one of my favorite machines that I've gotten to operate without a doubt!

13. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

wow 90k thats crazy i don't even think that the CAT loaders are that much that's big cake there. good for you awesome looking machine very jealous!

14. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Unfortunately they are that much.

15. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Yeah.....nothing is cheap.....but when you take in depreciation and how well they hold value, efficiency and low oprating cost.....they are well worth it in my opinion