1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kc2006, Dec 7, 2007.

1. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

So I was thinking about my charging system the other day while plowing. I hate seeing the drop in volts when I'm using the plow, i have a diesel so I have dual batteries and a good alt, all of which is new. It does fine but I'm picky and don't like the drop.

So my thought was, what if I run a couple compacitors? Like for audio equipment. If you run a compacitor off each battery, and use them as the power supply for the plow, would it work? I can get good compacitors for 14 dollars a piece, a friend owns an audio equip store and thats his cost, they're good quality too amazingly. So it would be cheaper then adding more batteries, plus lighter. What thinks everyone? Heck I can buy 4 compacitors for way less than one battery.

My only thing is, I don't know how fast a compacitor can discharge and recharge. I know with audio stuff I've had them drop down to 10.9ish and about 2-3 seconds later it jumps back up to 13.6 or where ever. Just an idea and looking for feedback.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Capasiters charge and discharge Fast however you woold need a capasiter 1/4 the size of your truck to do what you want! If the volt meater upsets you that much... Put some tape over it.
  3. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

Yea the cap will work for a second but then they will have to be recharged, resulting in a drop in voltage.
  4. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

caps are designed to give up there power in milliseconds. not viable for our use.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like he said you would need one the size of your truck. Your going to have a voltage drop anytime you have a large amp draw like a pump. You could add more batteries and 00 welding cable connecting them and still have the lights dim. As long as the volt gage goes back up your on the + side of the equation.
  6. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

the capacitor would be a good idea, however an amplifier for a car, even a very very large one, uses a lot less power than the plow requires.
  7. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

thanks for the replys. Just something I was thinking about while out plowing. I may have to put the tape over the gauge :D