1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Communications? CB's? Cell phones? Nextel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mowmannnn, Feb 5, 2003.

1. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

Just wondering what you all use for communicating with the rest of your crews? I have a cell phone, but that gets pretty expensive real quick. I also have a CB, but that is only good for a mile or two. The CB is mostly for if me and someone from our crew are in the same lot. I have been thinking about getting a Nextel phone, well two actually, one for me and one for the wife. I think it would be handier when I am in the field working in the spring and fall What about you guys?

2. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

I use Nextel at my other Job that does not require snow to make me money. :realmad: Would not be without it. What distance are you looking at covering? You can get a better antenna for CB to reach further, but it's only good when you are in the truck, they do have two way radios that will reach miles as well. I would look at your direct need an go from there. You have to know what you need before you choose and then look at the options that you can afford. Just my .02

3. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Nextel

I have found that the nextel works great. Have had it for about 6 months now, and yea, there is some places that it doesn't work, but most of the time it works great. I also noticed that the better (More expensive) phone that you get, the better the reception in bad places. But it did go from "New cool phone" to "Leash".
    ;)

4. Rob Abner

Rob Abner Junior Member

For me Nextel is the only way to go!

I am a contractor and virtually everyone I deal with in construction and plowing has it. So I can talk to all of these people on the two-way for free.

It gets even better though because Nextel is going nationwide with the twoway in the next few months so you will be able to two-way anyone from coast to coast.

5. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

ha ha! Leash! That's funny! I have been seriously thinking about the Nextel, just because of the two-way feature. I am with a Different cell company now but my contract is up and those nextel phones would be real handy.

6. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have Nextels I think its the best way to go.

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

You can try, CBs Nextel, cell phones, cheap radios. However in the end the best move is to break down and get a business band radio system.

Geoff

8. nben

nben Senior Member

VHF radios and cell phones for us. Looked into NEXTELs, but the service isn't so great in Maine yet (at least in our area). The two-ways are free to use (FCC license excluded) and they don't depend on outside repeaters and towers to work. Even in a snow storm, our 40 and 45 watt radios work fine for trucks 20 miles apart. We have a few 5 watt portables that are great when you get out of the truck...........works for us!:D

9. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

another vote for nextel.

10. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

i had the nextels an they were ok had some problems in my area so i went back to the cell phone system an the are much more effective for us an i have service in which phone to phone is free. an by the way last month i talked on the cell alone for 38,000 minutes an the bill was the same 59 bucks. look into at&t wireless an save ya some money i have had them all an the last bill i had with sprint on one phone was 700 dollars for around 6,000 minutes watch who you get connected thru or they can get very expensive !!

11. snowflake

snowflake Member

got nextel here is ok when they work if it wasnt for the two way feature would go with somebody else thats got better coverage use them for plowing and use them at work in the summmer time got cb radios in the trucks but they are just good in the parkin lot tooo much garabge in the air to get out far like they used to yrs ago

just my dollar two ninety eight

:drinkup:

12. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

badboygeorge,

That is amazing: 38,000 minutes divided by 60 = 633.33

Now 24 hours in a day times 31 days in last month = 744 hours total last month.

744 hours minus 633.33 hours = 110.67 hours.

110.67 hours divided by 31 days = 3.57 hours per day to sleep, eat and all other things.

:salute:

13. baddboygeorge

the bill stated 38.000 used minutes maybe they screwed up i talk alot on it never know

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Nextel here, a great tool in my area. I'm tuned in to a number of different area contractors I work frequently with, something you wouldn't be able to do on a private radio system.

15. Lanelle

Lanelle Member

Maybe George needs to get off the phone and get a life -- or maybe a calculator to count all that money he must be making. Are you sure that is only on your phone or is it shared minutes?;)

p.s. Your nextel should have a place that lets you track your used minutes. You can reset it at the beginning of each billing month.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2003
  16. baddboygeorge

Lanelle

the winter here is my slow time so i talk alot on that ol cell phone hell i use it more than my home phone an by the way i have free incoming as well so i just foward my home phone it works great .i am glad spring is rite around the corner i have alot of landscaping work to get done!!

17. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Currently, we are running vhf radois. Also, use cell phone when needed. The radios work great for us. Plus there is a base station back at the shop, which is my basement, and the wife can monitor if needed. I guess it depends on what every one can afford.

Rick

18. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

We use VHF radios, they ahve a 50km range, and I have a base station at the office. We also use cells. By the way, this might be a dumb question, but what is Nextel. I am from the great white north, so maybe it doesn't work here or the signals can't penetrate the walls of our igloos.:)

19. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Two ways here we rent tower and repeater space from local service , We also all carry cell phones however i agree nextel has the market on cell/ 2way i only have one concern with cell/two way phones iam scared that one of the guys will not pay enough attention to driving and the road while talking it does seem like the people with the nextel phones i see look like there talking into the unit but holding it funny something from star trek, Iam pretty much forced to stick with my system i purchased most of the radios before nextel was around and the tower service fees are about the same vs the cost of switching over .

20. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

the nextel phones seem cumbersome to use with the 2 way feature. also it seems that nextel phones are a little more bulky.

what are some of the vhf systems everyone is using? whats the cost for the initial investment?