1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

communication

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2 shot, Dec 26, 2001.

1. 2 shot

2 shot Junior Member

I was just wondering how you guys
    communicate between trucks during a storm.
    Do you use dedicated radios , cell phones , CB's ?

Any of your input will help

Thanks, Chad

2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

As for my business we have CB's in the plow trucks as well as commercial band two-ways. On the "rolling office" end of things I also carry a cell phone.

Bruce

3. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

the plan is to use cb's as much as possible but i tend to just use cell phones more

4. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

Nextel 2 ways and cell phones.

5. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

All of our trucks and our loader have mounted two way radios, we rent repeater space and also have a talk around channel for when we are in the same lot. They work great, we also have a few handhelds one for the office and one if we have a sub working or someone in the skid steer. A few of my drivers also have there own cell phones and i also have a cell phone. This all seems to work pretty good. Just my two cents

6. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

Nextel w/cell phone...if a client has a problem they can reach us in the field.

7. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

This is my first year, but I and a friend I will be plowing with (mtnbkn9 here onthe forrum) will be using cb's and cell phones.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had been using CBs in the gray band, but have upgraded to Nextel for a greater range.

9. Hidles

Hidles Junior Member

Ill go to upper side band channells or in between channells, also have nextel 2 way with cell

10. newtosnow

newtosnow Junior Member

CBs and cel phones

11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Business Band Radio System. Everyone has a radio in the truck, or equipment. Shovelers have portables.

Geoff

12. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Since I'm a solo operator, cell phone for me.

13. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

we all have cell phones, me and a couple other guys also have cb's in our trucks but for the most part we use cell phones.

14. 2 shot

2 shot Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info , you're all really
    quick to answer anybody's questions
    nice to have this resource to fall
    back on !!!!!!

Chad

15. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Hey, any of us Buffao/Amherst people use CB's? What CH.? Have one in my truck but no one to talk to.

16. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

Nextels w/cell phones.

17. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

cell phones are too expensive
    we use 2 cb's and 250 watt line amps for communications from home to my truck to let me know about calls for service, we can reach each other anywhere within a 30 mile radius

18. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

We used cb's for awhile but being in the city the interference was teribble with the buildings and the antenna's are too high for backing into underground garage's. So now its cell phones.

19. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

We only have three trucks (4 if you include the guy who subs for me) and we use cell phones. My phones are on a package that includes unlimited evenings (after 6pm) and weekends so for plowing it doesn't cost too much.

20. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Business Band radios, aren't the cheapest thing out there, at 375 bucks for a installed unit, and a portable at 600. However once you get a system you will never want to leave it. Our system has 2 channels and a talk around frequency.

Geoff