1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chillerq, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Chillerq

Chillerq Junior Member

So how do you "owners,bosses" keep in contact with your employees? With gloves on/salt/water pulling out my phone to call gets annoying. Do you guys mostly uses cells or did you turn to walki talkis or cb radios.

NHBOSSPlOWGUY Junior Member
    from NH

I like the idea with the cb radios. When I worked for someone else years ago we utilized cb radios and they worked really well. I would use the cell phone as a backup if crews are out of the truck shoveling etc.
  3. Chillerq

Chillerq Junior Member

We do condos and i have no real way of contacting my sidewalk crews...so im thinkking of buying a walki talki that can utilize cb radio channels
  4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Cb radios are alright but anybody can go on them, and the range is not the best unless you have an amp and/ or 2 antennas. The PTT Nextel phones are great because you can talk to who you want to talk plus the range is good. And they also double as a cellphone.
  5. LI snowman

LI snowman Junior Member

When I worked for a contractor last year, we just used cells. I ran the shoveling crew and the boss didnt leave the truck. I kept my phone in a large outer pocket where I could get to it with gloves on. Luckily it also has voice dial so all I had to do was press a large button on the side that would either pick up a call or activate voice command.

This year I am a sub for a different contractor and I assume we will just be using cells, unless he gives me something different.

Another large company around here uses radios similar to those the police use. The have actual radio inside their jackets and the handset that clips onto their jacket. Seems to be a good system as it works with gloves and hats, plus is easier to hear. I am not sure what the range is and they dont look cheap.
  6. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Cb's in the trucks and loaders... Kind of old but it beats picking up the phone and talking back and forth for every question.
    Especially when working in tandem all on one site. All the guys can hear all the directions...
    Just got to remember that everyone can hear what you're saying...
  7. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

We use uhf/vhf radios and cell phones. CBs just didnt cut it. You will be way happier with VHF MURS band over the CB. Radios are affordable and no lic.
  8. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Boost Mobile, $1/day unlimited usage for 2-way radio function. All my trucks have them.
  9. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

CB radios. Simple and cheap.
  10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Staying in contact with phones is a PITA, but we really have no other way.
  11. Chillerq

Chillerq Junior Member

Agreed!! i think im just gonna put CBs in my trucks. Does anyone know of walki talkis that work with cb radios? my cop friend said i could but wasnt sure.
  12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Shock Collar when they're in range..............:eek:
    Don't have issues with a cell, a buddy uses a blue tooth thingy and swears by it. I'd just swear at it......
  13. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Where did you get yours and what did they run you? Thanks.
  14. KevinClark

KevinClark Senior Member

I use professional two ways. They are a brand called Vertex and they are UHF. I have 4 of them and we paid about $350.00 each. The battery lasts days and they are on a private channel that no one else can hear. The range with out a repeater for ours is about 2-4 miles.
  15. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

You can find MURS/ vhf radios under 200 bucks. Bearcom is one of the places you can get them. PM me if you want more info.
  16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

business band radios
  17. misterbluesky

misterbluesky Junior Member

Family service radios or FSR available at radio shack, kmart, wallymart. etc. Not great range but saves cell minutes, dialing, answering phones. Mostly truck to truck in areas no more than a few miles apart. Don't get rechargeables get AA battery ones and carry spares. Pick a channel that no one will guess and have privacy. Works good.
  18. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Being municipal we have cb radios in all trucks and a portable in our loader if it goes out.
    All employess carry a nextel with direct connect and we grouped us all together on that too.
    As for me as a supervisor, I use both of the above and have a bluetooth as the calls can pile up the more snow we get. However I've learned over the years that voicemail is a great thing and I will only take a call if I have to.
    Communication during an event I ask my guys to keep it to a minimum. Break-downs, other issues or when they are done is all i want and need to know when it's snowing.