1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Communication in the field

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by BigDaddyMac, Jan 27, 2010.

1. BigDaddyMac

BigDaddyMac Junior Member
    from IL

I'm trying to figure out what system to use to keep in touch with the other guys I'm plowing with.

Do you guys use standard cell phones? Nextel's 2-ways? IPhones?

I was kind of thinking it might be time for us to invest in a phone with a GPS in it, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the money.

Thoughts?
    :confused:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

IMO phones with gps will work in a pinch but nowhere near as accurate or quick as most 99 dollar gps. We use cell and 2 ways. I personally like a 2 way with hands free. I have usually found that a piece of technology is better when it is a dedicated piece. Camera / phone / gps / email does everything but not everything well

4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

looking back, I wouldn't get the push to talks again. I get alot of phone calls and my problem is that it goes straight to voice mail when you are on the P2T. So I get off of it and all of a sudden have 3 or 4 messages that by the time I have listened to my guys are calling me again saying they couldn't "mike" me because I was on the line... I agree, dedicated is best.

5. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

We have been running Nextel since 1996 and they have come a long way. If you can look at the hybrids they have sprint cell service and nextel 2way

6. Motorola CLS model radios when plowing on same site. Cell otherwise (Verizon-to-Verizon; free calls)

7. nixray

nixray Senior Member

NEXTEL as well as CB, also for the seasonal workers you could go with the boost, a contractor I worked for gave Boost out (if they overused the phone for personal calls they would deduct it from your pay,)- the best part about boost is you dont use it you dont pay for it!!

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

grandviews' system is cool and works well at the shop, but it has some drawbacks...........

Using the phone is time consuming and limited but I can't get by without it. I also couldn't do my job without juggling several Nextels. All depends on how many people you need to talk to at the same time.

9. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Another point to make about nextel, the newer have a real "walkie-talkie" allowing you to talk to everyone as a group or one person!!!