1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Common Oil Leaks on 7.3?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plowguy43, Feb 7, 2013.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey guys, Im looking at picking up a crewcab diesel and most likely a 7.3 F250/350. These will be higher mileage around 200k and one I found has an oil leak of some sort causing it to fail inspection.

Can you post up some common oil leak areas and if the fix is simple or difficult? One I've heard of is the turbo pedestal I think.

Anyways Id appreciate the info.

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

oil leak wont let it pass inspection must be a bad leak!
    rear main oil pan are common

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Oil pan, and believe there is a line or plug on the backside of the engine that leaks sometime. Oil pans are very common to rust and leak on 7.3. Not a fun fix.

4. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Where is the leak at ? There are several things on top of the motor that can fail with the most expensive being the high pressure oil pump at 4 - 7 hundred dollars

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Anything in the valley can be an o ring or loose fitting in the high pressure system. There are two lines feeding the back of the heads, these like to run down the back of the motor. Also anything in the valley will run down between the block and trans and appear that there is a leak further down. Oil dipstick has been known to leak. O rings in the water separator will leak diesel fuel sometimes making it appear to be leaking oil. The most common MASSIVE oil leak is the pedestal. It leaks out of the o rings or the exhaust valve. Gut the pedestal and plug the hole.
    Probably a few I missed but that should help.

6. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The most common one on our fleet is the oil pan itself. I can't tell you how many we've replaced or used the Damion Diesel "cap" on. Whoever specified out the finish on these pans must have figured they'd lead a protected life.

If you do replace a pan, make sure you add a multi-coat protective finish to it before you screw it on. Then, Fluid Film the hell out of it once or twice a year.

7. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

My turbo pedestal leaked as well, I think that was it though fortunately. I didn't know they would fail inspection for that.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry for the delay, this is a dealership (Pretty big one) so they tend to scrutinize older used vehicles with higher mileage. The oil pan is fine, Im thinking its something from the valley but haven't had a chance to really pop the hood and look at it.

It would make sense if it was and made them think the tranny was leaking as well.