1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commerical Snow Plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bobcatboy06, Nov 6, 2006.

1. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

If you are plowing a lot in PA that is around 200,000 square ft what would you rates be for

2-4in
    4-6 in.
    6-8 in.
    8-10 in.
    10-12 in.
    $$ Per inch above 12 in.

Thanks,

Bobcatboy06

2. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Bobcat..thats a "wide open" question...more details would be nice.

3. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

Alright well we are bidding a lot that is probably closer to 300,000 sq ft the lot will need both entrances plowed and all snow removed from sidewalks around fire hydrants and away from gas meter, also loading docks need to be cleared. The lot needs to be plowed every time you have 1in of snow or more, the downside is that you only get paid once every 24hrs even if you plow 5 times. You can used salt of comparable de-icing product for the parking lot, however you have to use a calcium chloride for the side walks I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a price for a lot of this size for plowing and salting all areas.

I need to give them rates for

0"-2"
    2"-4"
    4"-6"
    6"-8"
    10"-12"
    12" plus

If anyone has any insight could you please let me know

Thanks,

Bobcatboy06

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This works out to almost seven acres. It has sidewalks, fire hydrants and loading docks. You don't even know for sure the measurements of the area. It needs special attention. Do you really expect someone to give you a price, sight unseen when you don't have a clue? Maybe you should pass on this one until you've got some experience.

5. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

We are looking at 291,230 sq ft for the for the size of the parking lot the sidewalk is only on the front side of the building which is 4,700 sq ft. I wouldn't be responsible for shoveling in-front of the two entrances, which are along the sidewalk There is only one loading area in the back of the building which has four bays, you can basically come right down the side of the building and clear it out. There aren't many obstacles in the parking lot other than light post which are spread out nicely, there are no islands front of the lot is 625x325, back is 625x45, right side is 45x250, left side is 70x250, and the side walk is 470x10. So I would be salting 291,230 with salt and 4700 with calcium. I would be putting two trucks with a 10ft plow and an 8.5ft plow at this location. I'm just looking for some figures, because i'm not used to this type of bidding price per sq foot that is.

Thanks,

Bobcatboy06

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'd price it high enough to make a good profit.

7. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

Yea i posted that hoping to get some reply out of some people it seems to take awhile to get the ball rolling around here.

Bobcatboy06

8. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

What part of PA?

9. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

I'm around an hour eastward of pittsburgh.

Bobcatboy06

10. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Blairsville?

11. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

Maybe thats not the important part the important part is that I need some answers to my questions.

Bobcatboy06

12. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

First thing I would suggest.I will repeat that I would suggest some might not agree.But the increments you have are 2-4 4-6 6-8 . I don't like to bid this way because say we get a 4 inch snow fall which price do you think they want to pay?You got it the 2-4 which you are expecting them to pay the 4-6 price.I bid 2-4 then a price for every inch there after.It is cut and dry no questions asked no one feels screwed.Get us a aerial view and we could get you a answer.It is just hard to give you a answer not knowing or every seen this property.Just think of it like this 2000 chevy 2500 ext cab 19 thousand dollars.Would you make a offer off that?NO.You have questions how many miles?Any rust?Tranny shift good?And so on.It is not hard to get answers here just everyone here knows better than to just throw out numbers we want to help and be accurate for you.

RCGM
    Brad

13. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Just read post again.They want a price for SQ ft? I have never bid like this before or been asked to.Who are you doing this for?Them directly?It sounds to me like a U.S Maintenance deal to me?

RCGM
    Brad

14. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

The bid is for a place called FHG Companies/About time snow I understand what you are saying about the incruments, this is just what they are giving me to go off of, I have personally never done a bid like this either. It seems strange to be but what can ya do.

Bobcatboy06

15. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Have you done work for them in the past? Or did they call you from a ad? I get those calls from companys in other states I just pass on them.I spent some time bidding a property for them I came up with 2-4 inch 860 dollars then 100 a inch there after and they were at 380 for a 2-4 inch I laughed at the guy and told him to quit wasting a true snow plowing professionals time:D hehe

RCGM
    Brad

16. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

They called me about bidding on it i'm having a hard time finding and aerial view its a Home Depot store I believe all of them at basically the same.

Bobcatboy06

17. Allor Outdoor

Allor Outdoor Senior Member

Bobcatboy,
    Based on past experience for Home Depots (the company that i use to work for did all of the plowing and salting for all the Home Depots in the state of Michigan). We would typically put 1 F-350 pick up with an 8ft blade and 1 dump truck with a 10-12ft blade at each site. The pick up would go around all of the islands, light poles, loading docks, dumpsters, etc while the dump truck would focus mainly on the large main lot. For a full application of salt we would usually spread 2.5-3.5 ton. I know some might say that it is to much but for a store like Home Depot, they would rather have to much rather than to little based on the amount of foot traffic that they have each day.
    It would on average take us 4 hours to plow and salt each site.

Our accounts with Home Depot called for the lot to be cleared even if it was only a dusting, or hell even if a puddle was going to freeze over a dry night. 2 years ago we were sending salt trucks out 4-5 nights a week, even if there hadn't been any precipitation...just to make sure that wasn't any "meltdown/refreeze".

I do have some pricing information that might be of help to you, but prefer not to post it on here. If you are interested in it, please email me at alloroutdoorservices@gmail.com.

18. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

I got in touch with you through your email

Bobcatboy06

19. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

Anyone have an update regarding Home Depot's or FHG Companies/About time snow?

We're looking at a few of their properties, and have no desire to get screwed!

BTW, why would anyone wait till the middle of December to line up snow removal??????

~Matt

20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just a guess, but they expected last year's low quote again this year. Unfortunately, the guy went out of the snowplow business cause "there's no money in it".

Happened around here this year. The trouble I'm having is when his old customers call me, they're getting "sticker shock". He was plowing for less than 1/4 of what I do. (right, one fourth). So far, I haven't gotten any of his old customers. I really don't know what they're doing.