1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PGHplowguy, Nov 27, 2010.

1. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Hi all,

I know this is probably the wrong category for this, but this is the most traffic one and I need a quick answer.

My chain on my 90 inch under tail gate spreader rusted up. My dumb fault. What size chain is it? Where is the fastest place to buy a new one. I'm having a tough time finding anyone who even sells them. Pepboys, advanced... do not carry them.

Thanks for the help.
  2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Get the chain ordered from whatever brand your salter is made by. Or the dealer you bought it from!
  3. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Thats a great idea! Only problem is that it is the biggest rusty p.o.s. you have ever seen. There is no maker engraved in the metal and there is no paint on it. I bought it used, not from a dealer.

I imagine all chains are the same size for most under tail gate spreaders. Hoping somebody who operates them has the answers. Thanks.
  4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You might want to post WHAT spreader you have. The more info you give, the better the reponse.
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you don't even know what kind of spreader you have, how are we supposed to know. I doubt very much that all or even most spreaders use the same chain. Each brand most likely uses something different, so they can say the type they have is better that so and so. Your best bet is to take it off, then go to an industrial supply place and see if they can match it up with anything.
  6. RepoMan207

from Maine

sprockets sizes alone throw your theory to the wind man. Your best bet is to post up a pic and pray that someone will recognize it.
  7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Go to a motorcycle shop. They have plenty of different sized chain.
  8. RepoMan207

from Maine

That is a good idea........
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  9. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Go to a tractor supply store if you have them around you. If not go to a ag. dealer. Farm equipment have a ton of different chains on them.
  10. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Thanks for the help. Yes, I went to a motorcycle store, that was the answer.

As for the few who stated it would be helpful to know the make/model... If you would have read before you posted you would have seen that there is no paint and no indication of that info.
  11. LON

LON Senior Member

so was it #50 or #60 roller? Depending on the style of spreader it could of been #40 as well.