1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Sidewalks

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TheLawnGuy1964, Aug 14, 2008.

1. TheLawnGuy1964

TheLawnGuy1964 Junior Member
    from iowa

I was wondering if anyone could help out with How I would charge for commercial sidewalks I have several banks wanting me to bid for just doing their side walks and would like so help on how to charge for snow removal and salting and or ice melt.?

I have 1 32 inch walk behind snow blower and two 48 inches blowers attached to two 27 Hp hgarden tractors. the 32 blows about 25 to 30 feet the two garden blowers blow it at 50 feet there sweat, but any way can y'all help out any at all please new to this and don
    t want to get bent over the frist time out.
    Thanks

2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You have to figure out what your cost per hour is. Then you have to figure out how long it will take you. Multiply the two and that will give you an amount to charge.

Time: I don't charge to drive to the first place. It is not their fault that I live a certian distance away from them. But for the second place, you can charge from the time you leave the one before until you are done with the work. Or you can figure in a basic "drive time" charge. Once on site you charge from when you park the truck to when you drive the truck away. Say it takes you 2 min to unload and drive to spot, 5 min to do the work, and 2 min to load up and go. That is 9 min. Rounded up to 10 minutes.

Cost: Your hourly rate is 60 per hour. 10 miutes worth of work would be $10.00 Would you do it for that amount? Raise or lower it if not.

Per linear foot cost: Say that same sidewalk is 50 feet long. Now you know you can move 50' of snow in 10 minutes at $60 per hour. So the linear foot charge would be $.20 a foot. Around here that is a pretty good rate.

I personally would see where it was on my route and if I wanted it or not. Then I would measure it and give a price based on my linear foot charge that I have. Or a minum charge which ever is more.

3. dford42

dford42 Junior Member
    from VA

We do it for the actual time at the job as well. But I always have more than one guy on the job so I can get through more jobs in a quick fashion. I would think you need to at least charge an hour of time plus chemicals to make it worth your while though.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i would measure the property. figuring a standard shovelier can do 800 sq feet per hour... then mulitply by our hourly rate for basic labor,

if you have equiptment, then its your benifit , they shouldnt get a price break because you have the proper equiptment. so how i figure equiptment cost is like this

a tractor , can do about 5 mph plowing snow... and has a plow 4 feet wide... So i bet it can do about 4 times what a worker could do.

Cost of 1 worker, operating it is $15 per hr

Profit of that one worker, plus the 3 other guys it replaces, is around 20*4 = $80 per hour

that means for your tractor, if you charging a fair rate to make money you should be at $95.00 per hour
    no person is going to hired a small tractor for $95 per hour. SO you should be charging by the sq foot, that a basic worker could shovel in 1 hours time