1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by m.williams, Dec 31, 2010.

1. m.williams

m.williams Member

How do you guys price commercial walks?
    per inch?
    per hour?
    just wondering what the best way to price that would be.
    any and all comments/input is appreciated
  2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

per hour like anything else labor related
  3. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

agreed i try to get them to do hourly but if it needs to be seasonal or per push I always include more time. Sidewalks are sometimes the things that can just ruin your whole bid. If i estimate it will take 1.5 man hours to clear the walks, I am bidding it at 2-2.5 just to be safe. We always check sidewalks 2-3 times after the final plow.So that little bit of added time is good. Plus with like entry ways and stuff you need to be visiting those basically every 1 hour or 1inch lots of extra salt, etc.
  4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Yes they do ruin alot of bids. Most guys barely figure in the walks and they are arguably the most important part of the job and the hardest to manage. Plus sidewalk salt is pricey. Its always hard to have guys available for walks at odd hours.
  5. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

yes. In a 3 inch snow fall that starts during business hours you can expect to maybe visit a site 4 or 5 times to clear off the entry way. Heavily salting will work for a little bit, but after a while the snow starts to accumulate, and with that salt underneath it, actually creates a faily slippery surface so. Thats why I would always try to avoid bidding per inch. Make sure when your discussing the bid with the client ask about the sidewalks. See what there policy is. Do they want all sidewalks cleared at all times, or just the main walk around the building or what. Just be sure to bid high on walks to cover your self. Very labor intensive especially when you get into heavy snowfalls and you need to shovel as oppose to running blowers.
  6. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

We started our snow business 6 years ago based solely on a sidewalk contract, and grew our business around providing great sidewalk service. Our plowing accounts have far surpassed our sidewalk accounts since then, but we definitely don't shy away from sidewalks by no means. We have always done per push pricing, with a separate flat rate for scraping and applying salt, and bill per pound for the salt itself. This gives us latitude to clear the walk as needed and get paid for it as many times as it needs done.
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Per hour.....payup