1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

commercial & residential

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elegantlawns, Dec 6, 2012.

1. elegantlawns

elegantlawns Junior Member
    from Mi

iam new to snowplowing and was curious about a couple of things. first, when do you guys start plowing, I know if its a small storm 5" wait until the storms over, but lets say we get 12'' of snow. do you go out twice or wait for the storm to end? I guess iam afraid that the residential and commercial customers would complain if billed twice or should I go out twice and bill one combined? thanks.

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

If you dont know those things you should put in a few years... or five working for someone who has done it for many years. That way you LEARN the right way to do things. Thumbs Up

3. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

^^^^ he is correct

4. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Nuff said...

5. elegantlawns

from Mi

thanks for the pointless reply. I've worked for a landscaping company for 4 years now on top of running my own very small business for 1 year, no my boss doesn't give a **** I know you'll prolly beg to differ. anyway ,yes I've plowed before but they don't tell me how they bill. come on man we were all at this point at one time so be a help and stop acting like your top dog plow king. hahaha.

6. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Hey, if you want to act like that fine.

But guess what? Your question was also about how often you plow. If you've plowed before then why are you asking that question as well?

7. elegantlawns

from Mi

correct that was part of the question. iam wondering what you guys do per say. there is always a more efficient way.

8. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Storms (12"+) we go out every four inches and once more when the snow stops to do a final clean up.

9. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

It depends on what your customers want. I have some zero Tolerance so 3 inches won't work. Some are 2 inches you start andevery time come back is another charge. On your resi's every customer might want a different amount before you do it

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

All depends how your contact reads
    If get you get 12 and you charge $$ for up to 4'' you could plow it 3 times for $$$ or wait till 12'' and charge them 3x the rate

11. elegantlawns

from Mi

which do you feel is the better way? plowing 12'' at once which seems to be harder on the truck but you don't have to go to that property 3 times or make it easier on the truck but burn more fuel and mileage.

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

It wasn't pointless....My point was, you haven't learned enough about the snow removal game as a whole to be on your own. You said yourself you are new to snowplowing. I gave you the best advice you'll get. That's why you joined this site right? To get advice from professionals who have been there and done that. I've been involved in snow removal for over 30 years, Landscaping for over 27 years. I've seen a lot of guys like you come and go. You know why? They try to make a go of it on their own to soon. There is so much more to it than just driving the plow, heck that's the easy part!

Good luck and no hard feelings.:salute:

13. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Zero tolerances you are correct on, I have a few that want the lot access available no matter what.

14. elegantlawns

from Mi

I defiantly see your point. but I want this to be my life, lawn care and snow removal. I believe there is a lot of fly by night guys but that's cause they grow way to quickly I believe and buy things they want rather than need I think when your small you should pay cash for almost everything even though debt has its place. I also believe that in your 30 years of snow removal your still learning new things. iam a sponge always learning. as far as trying to make a go on your own to soon, you have to sometime and you either get it or you don't. and by working for another company your not going to learn the business portion. so I think your right and wrong. thanks for the positive response.

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When in doubt ,go out and start plowing by 2 inches and if your per plow keep track of date and time and bill them. If your seasonal,start at 2 inches and keep plowing till it stops snowing then go and check each lot to make sure all the approaches are cleaned up.

16. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of the guys around here if the storm is 3" go do the residential, and then go again every 3". Apartment buildings and commercial lots are salted for like .5" and they never

17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Residential I would plow it 2 times in a 12'' snow
    Commercial I would plow 2-4 times
    All depends when the snow starts and ends
    If snows during the day I'll clean the lot every 3hrs
    That depends on how fast the snow is falling

1-4'' cleans faster then 12'' at one time

Best ask your customer To see what type service they looking for

Half of my customer on Res want clean before going work and before they come home
    Then some want one time cleaning
    Com they want it clean so nobody will slip and fall

18. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

You really need to have this conversation with every one of your customers, so that you understand their expectations and they are aware of your billing.

Most people are going to want to be able to get out and go to work, so when in doubt ......PLOW. I'd rather deal with a phone call wondering why I plowed twice instead of one why I didn't plow at all.

With commercial, if there is 3 or 4 inches on the ground before they open, there is no way I would wait til the storm ended. Plow before they open and then make a later decision on if you need to come back or not.

Basically it comes down to two things, one is communication with each customer. The second is, when in doubt.........PLOW

good luck

19. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

You are 100% RIGHT!! And guess what? Them same guys drive the prices down every year. And then when it's time to service the account they "can't". 2 to 4 inches maybe but anything after that they lose track quick. And then the customer ends up calling the original contractor back.

I hope you guys are charging double when this happens!!

20. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

Really,did you have to do this?