1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial pricing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jsaunders, Feb 11, 2003.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

I have only done residential plowing for the past 10 years, and I would like to get into more commercial plowing. My problem is what to charge on a commercial property? With residential plowing I average after expences 170 +- per hour(alot of traveling). I've already searched this site and read all of the topics and need some help. Should I try to shoot for a higher hourly avg or is there a price for pricing per square foot as with landscaping? I'm thinking of going after the school parking lots around my area as it would help keep me in a central area.

I know many don't like to state what they avg per hour but everyone is in a different area and prices very, but any help would be great. Thankyou Joel

2. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Any one with some advise? Does any one plow any school lots or is it not worth the $$$. Thanks for any imput. Joel

3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

From what I've seen school lots are a PITA they are cheap and complain a lot. As far as commercial lots if you if you average between $100 and $150 per hour per truck you are doing well, around here anyway.

4. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

We average around $150 per hour. (Per truck ) That seems about right. Schools, stay away from them.... My opinion, a nightmare waiting to happen.

Rick

5. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

How much of an open area can you clear in a hour with a 8' or 9' plow? I know I can do 5+ driveways easily in an hour including a long drive time. How or what do you judge parking lots as far as how long they will take to do? Thanks Joel

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

It comes with experience as to what you clear in an hour. Site layout also will vary the out put. That is why a sq. ft price will never work. The more cut up, islands, and if you have to move the snow to one specific area, will all dictate how long it takes to plow the same sq footage on different sites.
    That being said I know I can clear easily between 50-75000 sq ft in an hour with a 8.5' v plow, and closer to 100000 sq ft if it is all winrowing to the end of a lot. That would be soup to nuts, all clear, trailings cleaned up and the site ice controlled. That would be with up 5" of snow, more snow will add time repsectively.
    Dino