1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Pricing in Kansas. Want to go for Wal-Mart next year.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KCLawnTamer, Dec 10, 2008.

1. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

I was wondering how much you guys charge for the super Wal-Mart parking lots???

I can give you measurements but just looking to get an idea... What is your equipment list that you send to move snow??? Are you using 2-3 1 tons with some blizzard speedwing plows, skid loaders with blades or what??? Let me know..

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search, every 2 weeks someone wants to plow a Walmart because it's such easy money and everyone can do it.:drinkup:

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The problem with doing Wal-Marts is you need to have bigger equipment. Everyone wants to do them, but your not doing a parking lot that size with pick up trucks. Even if you have 5 trucks, and can dedicate them all to 1 lot. They are too wide, too long, and have to many things in the way to push snow that far. I will be the first to tell you someone will reply to this saying they do a Wal-Mart with a snow shovel, but the reality is they are full of shi$. You have to be reasonable. It would take alot more time to plow with pick up trucks then it would with a loader, and a box plow.

4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

They normally want bare pavement. You must have the ability to salt a large property like this as well.

5. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

Size wise the parking lot should be able to be cleared with two to three one tons or one one ton and a single axle dump truck with a 10 or 11 footer on the front along with a skid loader (with tracks) in about 5-6 hours. Get there early to keep loading ramps clear and work on the rest. Am I crazy?? I have a 8 foot spreader for on of the f450s. Salt and Sand is close by. I am buying a new skid loader next year so we can stop using the tractors with loaders and looking to double duty the track loader.. Figured I would try for one location for the equipment..

Any wal-mart clearing crews out there to tell me if im crazy or not??? prsport

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

You are out of your Mind :dizzy: thinking you will keep the store happy with that type of equipment trying to clear a walmart through a large storm yet alone a 2-4 incher. I am going to tell you that you need a loader for that job and if you dont have one then you will not get the job and if you do get the job, then you will not do a good job.. Plain and simple facts....

7. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Which ones are you bidding(where)? For the past 5 years I did a corprate owned one here. Be very careful if you bid and independently owned one. I know first hand the Wal-mart in Holton has screwed alot of people. I'm in Topeka.....PM me I'll help the best I can.

8. purpleranger519

from Kansas

ooooops.....I hate it when I don't read all the the post on the thread....As I said....I can tell you first hand...what it takes as I have done the SuperWalmart here and others.....your equipment isn't near Big enough and how much equipment isn't close either. With what you listed.....you'd spend the better part of the day at the one here and thats with 4 maybe 5 inches.

9. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

A 80+ horse power track loader and a 10-12 foot snow pusher can take snow a long distance. You dont have to travel the intire parking lot with it. Split the parking lot in half. My single axle 4900 always moved snow very well.

10. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I didnt have a wheel loader and I did them for 5 years....didn't offer them another contract and they wanted me back.
    Have you ever done one?

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I did one for 3 years for my old boss here in cleveland. Two trucks with wings, a skid with a 10 ft box and a loader with a 14 ft box. They wanted it clean and black, and they wanted it fast. 4 hours and it was done with that equipment and salt on site. How many trucks did you use when you did it.

12. purpleranger519

from Kansas

2 skid steers with 10' pushers, 1 ton with a 10' blade & a 2yd sander, 2 -3/4 tons with blades stayed on the property, dump truck with a 6yd sander. Usually if it was more than a 5" snowfall I'd pull another 3/4 ton with a blade. I've got a buddy that has a backhoe w/ a 14' pusher that helped when it really got deep.

13. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

hey burkart, which one in cleveland? the one on brookpark road? what company did u work for. i know/worked for the current company who does them now.

14. Rc2505

purple ranger, you are making my point for me. You had 6 pieces of equipment on each snowfall, and brought in a couple more if it was a big snowfall. So if an average guy wants to go plow a wal-mart with 2 or 3 1ton trucks, and a skid loader, would you recomend that he take on something this large? I sure wouldn't.

15. purpleranger519

from Kansas

We tried to do them with a shovel at first, but they complained we weren't stacking the snow high enough.
    How many different Wal-marts have you been to? I have no idea how many I have been to, but I can tell you that all their parking lots were different. So your too wide, too long theory doesn't really hold water. I can't say that I've ever seen one that could be done(Quality Work) with just a loader and a box plow either. Never. Wait....didnt you say there are too many things in the way??? How's that Big loader and pusher going to get around all that?
    Go do a Wal-mart with just a wheel loader....hell take a truck and a blade too...then come back and talk about reality.

Rc2505....if im making your point....why are you saying it would take more time with 5 trucks than a wheel loader

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  16. Rc2505

I never one time said I would attack a Wal-Mart with only a loader. I only stated that Wal-Marts have large parking lots. With lots that are that wide, and that long, you would need to have something bigger than a pick-up truck to plow it with. Not only the fact that pick-ups can't stack as high, but the fact that there is usually limited places to put stacked snow to begin with. So if you get 3 storms in a 2 week period of 6 inches each, where exactly are you going to put all the snow with just pick-ups? This is where the loader come in play.
    As far as how many Wal-Marts I have been to.... well it's hard to say. I have built 23 of them in the past 9 years, I am sure I have visited at least 40 or 50 others, since my main line of work requires traveling to every major university, and pharmaceutical plant in North America. So I would tend to think I am pretty educated in Wal-Marts and the sizes of the parking lots.
    I also never said it would take more time with 5 trucks than it would take with a loader. I will go on the record and state that if I were to plow a Wal-Mart (an average sized super Wal-Mart) I would have at least 1 loader possibly 2. I would also have 1 skid, and probably 2 to 3 trucks on the lot for each storm. With that equipment I would expect that 1 lot would take about 4 hours per piece of equipment per event. Longer of course with larger storms.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'll do one with 2 loaders and steel trip pushers, you don't need pickups at all, all you need is a snow bucket to back drag loading docks. Loaders are very nimble and can go around curbs and islands actually better then a pickup with a good operator. Havn't done a Walmart before but have done much larger lots without the coffee getters.

18. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

They do the Wal-mart across the street from me with two trucks and a big a$$ loader.

19. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I'm gonna go take some pictures of what I'm talking about tonight...cause I dont think I can explain this right but here we go...
    Our Super Wal-mart...We just had a second one open this summer and it's also this way so I'm curious if others are as well. But the loading ramps at the docks. The ramps that the semi's back to go to the have about a 30 degree fall to them...so the semi's are backing down into a hole basically....each dock lane is seperated by about a 12" concrete footing with pipe railing that exceeds the length of the tractor trailor. the **** looks like cattle chutes almost. I dont know how wide they are but there is very little room when we would drag it out with an 8'6 plow.

20. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

my buddy does the one here and he uses 2 pickups and 2 SS's (1 bucket 1 blade)...they push it 3 different directions.....i wouldn't be afraid of doing it with 1 truck and one SS if that's all the jobs you have....