1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Pricing for Large 22 Acres

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by workhardinsnow, Oct 10, 2012.

1. workhardinsnow

workhardinsnow Junior Member

I'm relatively new to pricing snow out and I have an opportunity to price a property that is 22 acres. I want to provide them with 2 different contracts. One is the seasonal and the other per inch brackets 1-3 3.1-6 6.1-9 etc. I plan on utilizing one truck and one loader. How much should my first bracket be. I can figure the rest out? Also how do you figure seasonal pricing? Should I base that on 48". I know it's a lot ugh. But any assistance would be helpful. Thanks:)

2. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

A lot of larger places like seasonal pricing so they can budget for the year.

If you are renting any equipment you will also want seasonal so you don't sit with payments and no snow.

If you go with brackets you will always be fighting over how much snow had fallen.

We do a very large site and some places will have no snow and some may have a foot.

For seasonal pricing all you can do is estimate how long it will take you and all your costs.

If you keep a log book from previous years you can look back and see how many times you plowed your other accounts and get a decent idea of how many times you will be plowing your new accounts.

I plow with our big account with 3 16' JD 644J's, skid steers, pickups, and x-municipal trucks and there is no way I would do this account without seasonal, there is just no other way with big accounts.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Nearly 1,000,000 SF with 1 truck & 1 loader...........hahaha. You need a seasonal contract on something that big. Research historical records so you can determine your area's average annual snowfall.

2 loaders, skid steer, 1 truck

Do you need to salt? Property is too large for bags, you will need a hopper.

Check into winter leasing a couple backhoes & push boxes for the season

4. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

You might want to rethink using just one loader and one pickup, I have a 25 acre lot and I use 3 loaders with a 16' pushers a skid with a 10' pusher and 3 plow trucks on site. My contract is zero tolerence, so they want bare pavement through out the storm. Even if they dont care how long it takes you, you are going to have a tough time keeping up with it during the big storms with only 2 pieces there.

5. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Another thing with big accounts, they are basically zero tolerance.

When they are that big they need to be constantly plowed or it looks terrible. You cannot get away with things on a big lot like you can on a small one.

Salting is another major issue, we use 10 tons on average. You need a big truck and a salt storage bin with equipment to load salt into your big truck.

6. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

If it is a busy lot with lots of traffic, hard pack is going to be your number one enemy . you wont be able to keep up with it with just a loader and a truck. 22 acres of hardpack will need about 12 tons of salt to loosen it up enough to scrape clean, and thats not including any pre or post treating you will have to do. It will be more cost effective to add a second loader with a arctic pusher then have to buy $20k-$30k of salt. Seasonal is the only way to go for the big lots. Too much cost involved to take a chance of not getting any snow.