1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

commercial plowing with s10

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by eze, Aug 23, 2010.

1. eze

eze Junior Member
    from Mass

For a few years i have been plowing with a 1 ton 4x4 GMC dump with an 8 foot blade and its on its last legs and am looking for something more reliable to plow with. Business is kind of slow so its hard for me to justify buying a newer 3/4 or 1 ton truck and i really have no need for one other then plowing snow. I have a international 4700 that i use for most of my jobs, and a 2000 s10 4x4 with the 4.3 v6 which is great for running around town and to do my small jobs. I am not a big time plow guy. i do 10-15 small driveways, which with my 1 ton being so big i usually end up shoveling more then I plow, two small lots, and a 1 mile dirt road that is pretty rough. I live on the south coast of Massachusetts and only get about 5 plowable storms a year if that with a majority of them being 6 inches or less. if there bigger storms i usually go out twice anyway. I live right on the ocean so when we get snow its usually pretty wet and is quite common to mix with rain. So to get to my question do you think that if i put a plow on my s10 could i do this with out much trouble. I realize it may add a little more wear to my suspension parts and all that, and take a little more time to do the lots, but will it hold up and will i be able to get the job done. I realize full size trucks are the way to go, but i have this truck so why go buy another one just to plow for a few days out of the year. I am looking for any thoughts you may have especially those who plow with s10 trucks. Thanks, Eric
  2. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

If you have it, Use it!!! S10's are really good in snow and are more manuverable than a fullsize and to make it even better, you are doing driveways!!! To me, i would rather use a s10 or ranger on driveways as opposed to a jeep. Just my .02c
  3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

just curious, why do you prefer a ranger or s-10 to a jeep , i never used either but i have owned a few jeeps and i thought they did great. I don't do driveway but just curious on your insight...
  4. Theshoemaker

I had a 2001 s10 4x4 and that thing pushed heavy snow with little trouble. It might not have been easy like a jeep to turn around,but it was alot nicer than using a fullsize. I also liked the versatility, you can plow driveways and then go plow at a big commercial and not really have any trouble. We had a jeep that we used for plowing parking spots and buisness fronts but that's all it was really good for on the big lots. Just my opinion i was'nt trying to talk down jeeps or anything.
  5. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

No i did not take it that you were talking down jeeps, I jeust never used a ranger or s-10 and just wanted to know your thoughts ...By the way did the s-10 or ranger have the same size blade of the jeep
  6. Theshoemaker

Yea, 6.5 western
  7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Go for it. I always used bigger trucks until last year when I used a 2001 Wrangler. I was amazed and ended up going everything much faster than I had previously. I think a lot of people was over-truck themselves when a smaller truck will do just as well if not better.
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

If you are only averaging 5 storms a year, than I would say it would be dumb to buy a bigger (more expensive) truck if your getting hit by the economy.