1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Plowing with loaders?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CNYScapes, Nov 29, 2005.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

I currently run 4 plow trucks with 1 backup truck. We do about 10 commercial parking lots and 70 driveways. Been plowing with pickups for about 10 years. When I bid commercial work I try to make about $125 an hour.

My question is for you guys who plow the bigger parking lots with payloaders. How much per hour do you charge for the loader and a 12'-20' blade? Is it worth me making the invenstment for a loader to do these bigger parking lots. Is the money in the loader or the salting services?

2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

There is money in salting no questions asked. Payloaders are able to move more snow in less time, more snow overall, and can stack or remove when needed. you will still need trucks to cleanup. Really depends on your needs. :cool:

3. peewee

peewee Member

We don't charge by the hour, rather by the job. If your pick up takes 3 hours to clear a lot for say $300, you could clear it on one hour with a loader and pusher blade for the same price. Better job, done faster leaving more time to take on other high paying jobs. No comparison. Pick ups are great for little clean ups and driveways, otherwise big stuff kicks butt!!!

4. lawncare18

lawncare18 Senior Member

CNY scapes you looking for any snowshovelrs this season. If you are let me know on here then we can talk email. I do golf course work during summer months and am looking to shovel snow this winter...

5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

all set for shovelers, thanks - I am looking for more input on this subject though !

6. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

PEEWEE is correct the larger machines enable you to take on bigger lots.
    Definitely worth the money IF you can land the work. You could try leasing or renting machines during the winter. As far as per hour, I do not charge extra for machines with pushers they would be included in the per inch or set price for a given storm, however I do charge extra to MOVE the snow after a storm especially if another storm is on its heels. I charge $175 HR for a new Holland loader and a 1 yard bucket. $225 hr for a Case 580. Mainly in the condos and banks to move snow away from curbs and into the grass areas so the plow trucks can plow the next storm. I do have a clause in my contracts that I can use a loader in any storm over 8" in the condo developments and some of the others, thats were you really make good money with the machines. They are then working around the clock.