1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial plowing question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman1957, Mar 31, 2004.

1. plowman1957

plowman1957 Junior Member

This should be my last question for a while.As I was saying in my first post(new guy here)I am getting back into plowing after 15 years off with a new 2004 chevy shortbox,factory plow package,4x4,7.5 western. Can I do any commercial plowing with this truck?Nothing real big maybe a burger king or mcdonalds size lot.The reason I say mcdonald's is I got a chance to do 3 of them.Allso got a chance to work with 2 realeste co.doing there parking lots and houses they have up for sale plus small residential drives that I will get.I have had some people say that trucks fine and other say go to a 3/4 with a V.Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I get the right truck.
    Alot of things change in 15 yrs.
    Thanks for your help and have a great day.
  2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Anything you get will work fine. it is like the difference between an am radio, am/FM radio, cassette player w/radio, or CD player w/radio. you can listen to music with all of them but some are better then others along with the price.
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

That truck will be just fine for plowing but make sure you don't try to do too many accounts with just one truck.:nod:
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would rather do small parking lots. More of a challenge and you can knock one off every 30-40 minutes too. Stay with a 7.5 plow so you can get in the drives/ drive thru's and tight places. A - V plows great for wide open places but tight areas will give you grief.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah you should have no problem i mean in the late 60s early 70s my friends used jeeps to plow pkg lots
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Why do you think V's will give you grief in tight areas?

My blade can be a PITA in tight areas but thats because of its size....dont have nothing to do with it being a V. Just my thoughs, curious about yours.

V isnt neccisary, any truck will work well if you stick it in a place that works well with its positives. Kinda like the guys saying thier jeeps can plow anything a fullsize can and then the fullsized guys getting thier panties in a twist. Anything will work but certian things will be more productive in certian areas. Stick to the areas your truck will work best in, smaller lots. A jeep would plow circils around me if I tried to stuff my porky rear down a bunch of driveways but stick us next to each other in a big lot and my truck would walk on em....

Dont take on too much at first, network with another guy incase you get in a bind with equipment or the like so you always get your places plowed. Subbing for the first year might not be a bad idea either......
  7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

The truck described will be fine wor the amount of powing you are talking about. Watch the transmission other than that you should be fine.
  8. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

Your chioce is right on. I would add a rear plow also to complete your truck. Like you said things have changed. It will increase your profits while alowing you to complete your jobs quicker and cleaner than your competitor that is not running a rear plow. Giving you the premium $ for your efforts. Good Luck
  9. ratlover

from IL

one thing I forgot to mention 7.5 is the middle ground for plows. you can get a comercial grade(heavier) or a lighter model in 7.5. The comercial grade(the western pro) is built stronger than the standard plow but that also means its heavier and be more plow than you want on your truck. Generaly a pro is thought of for 3/4 and bigger while the regular series is for 1/2 tons.

I also dont think you can get a plow prep with a shortbed. If its a short be you cant have as heavy of a blade. Make sure you run balast behind the rear wheels and timbrens are a good investment too. I love mine.
  10. ratlover

from IL

rear plows are very trick if you will do much residential. also less balast you need to put in the bed of your truck. if you wont need to do much backdraging though they arnt as nice but if you need to do much of it they will save a good amount of time.

There is no ultimate set up though for everything.....an ultimate set up for a particular area yes but no end all peice of equipment.
  11. North Country

North Country Senior Member

1 truck - 3 McDonalds that all need to be open @ 5 or 6 am, plus any other accounts you have could be tough. A day storm by yourself could be difficult servicing 3 McDonalds all day at the same time. If walks and salt were part of the deal it would slow down the whole process.

I guess if they were real close together it would make it easier, it would also depend on the level of service they require and you also want to make good on the service promise that you made.

Just some 'Fast' food for thought.

We have many Dunkin' Donuts all open at 5am, also warehousing that opens at 5am, proper scheduling makes it happen every storm. At times we have 6-7 trucks just working on Dunkin and if it is still snowing we need to hustle to keep them looking good.
    (Have to keep them nice for all the plow folks to get their coffee!)

Good Luck and make some $ - michael
  12. snoking

snoking Senior Member

a question for everyone......how many acounts per truck can you do....like how many macdonalds in a two hour window or how many residential can you do with one truck on a normal snowfall, 2 inches and snow done by 2 am......i ask because what you guys do sounds so different than from what we do...
  13. North Country

North Country Senior Member

snoking I am not sure what you are asking?

There is no correct answer to how many accounts can one truck do, there are too many variables involed. - michael
  14. ratlover

from IL

some places depending on the size of the lot I may be in for a few hours, some I can be in in 5 min. some are far away, some are close together. Sometimes snow is 2" sometimes 12", sometimes I'm dodging cars sometimes not, too many variables.
  15. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

get a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, 6.0 L V8 gas, short box, 4x4, snow plow prep with a Western 8' Pro model with the ultra mount and you will be able to plow anything you would ever want to with that truck. I t will run you $40,000, but oh well.
  16. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Bchlawns has a point. Plowing is much easier with a heavier truck. The snow plow prep is key for ease of use, tire wear and reduced maintenance costs.
  17. ratlover

from IL

I think he has the truck already though?

If not reg cab 2500hd duramax allison with a big V will move alot of snow ;)

Alot of times all the plow prep adds is a blinky light and makes it a little less likely you will get hassled by the dealer for warrante stuff. Sometimes it inculdes bigger torsion bars but not always, do some research, sometimes "plow prep" dosnt add anything that would help you plow snow or add to reliability. All I got with my factory plow prep was a factory mounted switch for a blinky light.