1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Plowing Price

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dig-it Landscap, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

I plow mostly private driveways with my arctic cat 4x4 with a 4' plow. i did a landscape install job for a customer who told me he wanted me to do year round maintence on his busniesses property. I did a business property last year but way underbidded it and lost money on it. For some reason he wants it done on a call basis where he clls me when he wants it plowed. the lot would take my employee about 1-1.5 hours depending on conditions. he wants about 50lbs of salt pread in one area for trucks to drive on. there is no shoveling. the one problem is that it takes 25 min to get there now let alone when there is snow on the ground i pay my employee 10/hr for the drive time also. any help would be appreciated.

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I would not jump at it. It sounds like a good opportunity, but with it being an on-call basis, more than likely he's gonna call at the end of the storm, which isn't too bad as long as there's not a lot of snow. You'd want to make sure to let him know that you want to plow with the storm, instead of trying to clear 10-12 inches at the end. What you thought would take an hour to clear, ends up being 4 hours.

I would set up the job on your terms if possible. Give him the conditions when you'll be there, especially if it takes 1/2 hour to get to. Be careful of your liability too if it's going to be on-call.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would reinforce what John's said. He's wanting to call the shots and you'll wind up losing. Guaranteed. I took one the first year I plowed who wanted something like that. That was the only one and never again. He would wait until it had snowed over the bumper. Then I'd have to pull his car out so I could plow. You'll also get called after several snowfalls, each having been driven on, packed down and frozen.

Pass. Pass. Pass. Otherwise, quote him a price about 4-5 times what you would normally and add, for travel time.

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I agree with what John & Mick said. I would quote him a large price. I have been down this road with the ATV before, when then snow gets over about 5" deep, it is hard to move. It will require a lot more time to get the same area clean that has 5" + on it, hopefully the snow hasn't been packed down. If the snow is packed & frozen you will have a hard time getting it to come up. The ATV is a wonderful tool for residential work, it is good for commercial work, but the snow just seems to get heavy on those long pushes you have on commercial lots. How big of an area is the lot? If it only requires 1 bag of salt it can't be that big. Good Luck :waving:
    BOAST

5. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I agree with what everybody has said. On call is not an option. Any job I have ever done with an "on call" clause I get called when there is feet of snow, packed down, frozen layers, cars stuck and they call right when you think you're done for the night. No More!