1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Plowing, Few questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sectlandscaping, Aug 22, 2011.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I was asked to bid on snow removal at two commercial properties I already service. They want a time and materials bid which I never did. So I just give them a per hour figure for Truck Plowing, Lot Salting, Shovel Labor, Walk De-icer? Anything I'm missing? I should charge for every hundred pounds of salt/sand? And again for the time it takes to apply, right?

They do not want it removed off site. Any one want to chime in with some rates and bid tips. I included a picture of one of the complexes. Also should I have second rate for more then one truck or double the rate?

lorenz 2.jpg

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try and sell them a per plow or seasonal contract. With that time stuff you can get burned. If it's a light snow less time in and less money,but if its a bigger snow and takes longer they'll think your milking it.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I see a chain link fence all the way around the storage units. Beware that there will be nowhere to put the snow and you will spend a lot of time trying to plow it out of there.

Are you using bulk salt or bagged? Id be charging on a smaller increment than 100 pounds either way assuming you can measure it that accurately if it is bulk. Bagged is obviously easy to measure.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Good point on the fence. Check also if they are doing outside winter storage also,if they do run!

5. sectlandscaping

I wanted to buy bulk and charge in weighted increments but It would be hard to measure that way. I was going to go with x per hour for sander + cost of materials.

t thought of that too since they dont want snow removed. I had a vision of chucking snow over the fence if it gets to deep. There is a spot in the storage area I was going to pile at the other end. Theres another space in the side of that between the rows. Just a bit more work to get it there.

The back of the office seemed like a bigger issue. Since they dont want snow blocking site of the dumpster.

I dont know if I should charge a minimum rate say 25% higher for the first hour or two to cover light storms.

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I think I'd rather sleep or do residential or maybe just sleep.

7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I think seasonal is the way to go here, just make sure you have a clause to get paid when you need to bring in a loader to move snow.

8. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

We do several self storage facilities-what a treat! How much snow do you avg per storm?

I would say with the layout of the photo-$125 per hr for a 10-12' box blade and $160 hr for a loader over the fence. Bulk salt=double your price per ton.

My guess is they won't pay it. Most are too cheap and just have the customers fight it. The only reason we have the ones we do is the owner advertises that snow is removed every storm. Keeps his places full!

9. sectlandscaping

No loader in contract says plowing only but my experience says it will be asked for if it snows hard. I could do the roads and front parking lot no problem no matter how deep but if we have a 12" storm theres little room in the storage facility. Where does that snow go? I dont want to have to blow it through the fence.

We normally get 35'' over around ten storms. This past year just in January we had 60". We ended the year between 86-96'' depending on source. So I have no idea what to expect. I been eying a f450. I think I might get that in hopes for a big winter.

They also want the salt per occurrence. I have to get measurements when I visit the site. Its safe to say a 1/2 yard per acre?

10. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

If they have requested a per hr rate-which leads me to believe they want cheap, just list a per hr for the equipment you have. Show rental rates for equipment you don't have, including labor. Same with salt-price per ton spread per event.

Not the way I would do business, but its what they ask for and what you are wanting to provide.

11. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

:laughing::laughing::laughing: