1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Plowers? main job?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoFarmer, Jan 8, 2006.

1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How many of you only plow snow in the winter.?
    You are not a fireman, para medic, student, or any thing else.
    You only engage in snow removal full time.

Second Q, If you are a fireman or paramedic you have to work shifts and if your a fireman your on duty for days straight with a few days off in between
    How do you offer prompt service if you are at work?
  2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I pretty much only plow snow in the Winter. That said, I would never do it by choice. The plowing is mainly just to keep my truck going and me busy.

I still pick up odd work where I can, etc... However, I rely on summer work for my income.

We havn't had a plowable even in a month and no end in the dryspell from what I can see.
  3. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

sno is the only thing i do in the winter besides a few odd jobs. wrenchin and body work.. when they come around
  4. paponte

paponte Senior Member

As long as it snows it's the only thing we do, besides work at the shop. :cool:
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing is all I do beside watching my boys, which means I can devote all the time necessary to keeping the lots clean. I just got an email today from my new commercial this year complimenting the job done so far:D

If you have another job, taking on commercial is risky unless you have somebody good who can fill in for you on a moments notice.
  6. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

snow plowing is all i do from about dec 25th till april 1st, fall clean-up to spring clean-up....if it doesnt snow i dont work....unless we get a tree job, after big nor'easters we get some calls on tree work , big trees come down or big limbs, besides that nothing but tracking in the woods and hiking!

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I'll answer the Fireman question...Most firemen have great schedules...I work a 24hr shift and then I am off for 72hrs off. So the fact that I only work 1-2 days a weeks helps alot. So on the days that I am scheduled to work i have a few options. 1. swap out my shift if I know ahead of time that we are going to get something. I have a few guys that I make deals with to cover my shifts for me. 2. If I have a few days in advance I can take a vacation day, I only need 48 hours notice for that. 3. The final option is to take a personal day. We are allowed to use 48 hours of personal time every year. So I save my time for the winter. Also the 48 hrs can be taken in 12 hr blocks so that equals about 4 storms.

Also I have a couple of guys that I can count on if i get stuck at work for what ever reason. Some times I just end up pulling my hair out!!!
  8. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

We do firewood, logging, salt delivery, and plowing/salting during the winter.

Landscaping, Lawn Maintenance, Logging, Excavation, Hardscaping, etc during the summer.

Right now I work ~ 10:00pm-7:30am 7 days a week with salting/plowing. It's pretty much all I personally do. Spend my afternoons skiing or snowmobiling. Sleep from ~ 8am-2pm.

Have 6 guys working 5-6 days per week. They are working on equipment, and helping to get things ready for the spring when we aren't working in the field. Have 500+ lawn maintenance contracts to get organized, setup, and printed off for this season.

3 guys working 7am-4pm Mon-Fri logging. That's all they do. Not into the snow removal part of the business. Not working at this time, the ground is too soft so they are helping out with firewood. We do about 3500 face cord per year.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I do it all!

I try to plow as much snow as I can during the winter. This year, I decided to go back to school to try and get my Bachelor of Nursing Degree. And since I'm over 100+ miles from home, I took my plow with me, hopefully I'll pick up some new accounts in the town where I'm going to school. Already picked up one commercial lot, it's actually the WESTERN RETAILER.

I also Volunteer with my home town's Fire Department, so I keep my radio on me at ALL times (even too the bathroom!), and I keep all my bunker gear in the back seat of my truck so it's there if I have to respond to a call while I'm out around plowing, etc.

Plus, I'm also the Call-Back Paramedic for our Ambulance Service, if one of the other guys wants to take a day off, they call me. Don't get much work now, since I'm in school, but when I am home, if they call, I respond. Uses the same radio as the Fire Dept. so they have no problem getting a hold of me.

As for the summer, I'm a Lifeguard at a Tourist Chalet. Located in the back country, the only way to get to it is a combination of hiking and boating (other than float plane). We mainly have kids there, but we also get an occasional adult group as well. I'm in charge of swimmers, kayakers, pedal boats, and canoes. As well as helping with the rockwall, etc.
  10. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

plow in the winter, and have 2 big apartment complexes i mow in the summer, and i just picked up a duplex. so basically mow 2 days a week in the summer and make double what i would in a factory for 2 days work , and the rest of the time i buy&sell / part out 79to93 mustangs and ford and dodge trucks, a hobby that makes me money also. when i'm not plowing i'm hobbying, and makin money that way.
  11. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

I'm a Paramedic. I work two day shifts then two night shifts, then I'm off for four days.
    I'm employed by the county government and I've been here since they started paid EMS in this county. I have quite a bit of leave built up, so if I hear it's going to snow and I'm scheduled to work, I take off.

As far as plowing, I am doing county roads so the employer is still the same, just a different department.
  12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Snowplowing is what pays the bills, firewood is what keeps me active the 2-3-4 weeks in between snowfalls.

We're working on building a firewood business up to about 4-500 customers / year, then sell it out, which will probably take 6-7 years, maybe 10.

By then it should be worth about $200k for the turn-key operation I'm turning it into.
  13. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I plow snow in the winter to help pay bills. But I also go to school as well as selling real estate. It gets really busy but I just keep my cleint base small. I give myself about 12 hours to clear all of my client's lots. But I normally can get it done in 6-10 hours, depending on the amount of snow. It works for now. :gunsfiring:
  14. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

I basically work for myself, doing electrical and emissions diagnostics for a couple local shops at their location. I drive the shop plow truck for one, my personal rig just does my driveway, my vehicle storage yard, and a couple neighbors that I actually get along with.