1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial lots going un(der)plowed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Now that we have had a few events, I've noticed a lot of business's either not plowed or not getting the attention I would expect for a commercial lot. After asking the employees whats up, the general response is "my boss is cheap", than they respond with "you guys all raised your prices this year?!" Thats when I respond, maybe you haven't noticed but gas prices are 20% higher this year, and I hope no one slips and falls and sues you, oh by the way, here is my card :cool: .

2. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

Your right we got our first snow last night after i got done I looked around and i couldent belive what has not been plowed. They must have good insurance!!!!!

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I couldn't believe there were guys out plowin here in DSM with only 1.5 inches. Now that's some hard up mother focker$

4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

How are they hard up if there contract states 1" trigger? they would be just doing there job, no?

5. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Maybe I'm confused by your post but if plowing 1.5" or less means I'm hard up then call me what you will. I'd get fired if I didn't show up to some of my accounts. Yesterday I plowed less than 1" (salt wouldn't cut it 'cause it was below zero out) - the owner called me at 8:00 AM thanking me for doing such a good job.

6. raptorman03

I'm a sub so when they call i push, I was just happy to use my toys payup

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

We push and or salt every storm , depending on weaher conditions. We only use the trigger depth to determine when we start plowing , not whether we plow or stay home. People slip and fall on 1/2 inch of snow. The one thing worse than hearing from a customer complaining there was not enough snow to plow , is the phone call telling you that there is an ambulance in his parking lot with a woman who jusy broke her leg because you didnt show up.

8. raptorman03

You try being a little more intelligent and I'll try being a little nicer!! lol

9. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Take pictures of their lot and then of yours after a storm. Next season go to them and show them the pictures and maybe you could get the account. If they are not to cheap.

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

plowing 1"

Same thing happened to me, we had only got about 1" of snow, so I salted at 5am, but the temp dropped and we got about another 1/2 to 3/4" by 12noon. My commercial account called me up and asked if I could plow, Absolutely, I automatically come at 2" but if you want me earlier, fine by me payup

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No, its called being a smart business man. Like what was said before that people slip and fall with less snow on the ground. My customers hire us cause we care about safety.

12. DJL

DJL Senior Member

It's called being PROFESSIONAL and doing your job well. :drinkup:

13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got a Walgreens store that I do(lost the other one to a lowballer) and they want me to come at 1 inch for liability reasons. Fine with me. :nod:

14. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I have a office that I do and they want it done between 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch. That was there request.

15. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Boss your right i have 5 walgreens due to the fact wheni first started out with my business i worked ther epart time and they want no problems there always getting sed for dumb stuff.....

16. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

No one can sue unless it has been plowed/salted/sanded. Because, if it's not plowed, it's classified as "natural conditions" in which, no one is able to be sued for the snow fall.

If it's plowed/sanded/salted, they can be sued as there is no excuse onto why someone would slip.

17. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

These (NATURAL CONDITIONS) as you call them do not apply here if the store is open for business. If the doors are open then there must have been an atempt to make the area safe for the public.

Something I have noticed in large lots like a department store is cars seem to know ware the lot lines are even if covered with snow, but at the Federal building ware the same people park in the same spot every day they can't seem to find there spot unless the lines are cleared. They require bare sanded pavement before 8:am every morning.

18. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Someone can sue anytime , plowed or not . If the property is "open for Business" and its not plowed the liability is high. If it is still snowing , the business is closed their chances od winning a suit are slim at best. I was a party to a lawsuit a few years ago and the lot was plowed and salted , since both were done the person that slipped lost the suit since all precautions were followed , and since the customer arrived 2 hours early to drop his car off for repair and the business was closed. The judge basically told the plantiff since he was there prior to the business opening there was no liability.

19. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

I sub for a contractor that does banks. No one calls anyone no triggers. Precip and freezing temps we go and do whatever is needed...sometimes nothing needed sometimes full operation. Then we must recheck all locations before they open next morning.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  20. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Have you checked with lawyers ?