1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snoluvr, Aug 18, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I have been plowing for a few years now, and have run into something new. A commercial lot I am trying to get is 165,000 square feet. The property owner wants a bid on standard 1-4, 5-7, 8-11. they want the price to include plowing, sanding, shoveling walks, and salting walks. Any ideas on how to come up with a price without sounding too high, but not losing money? I appreciate any ideas.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just change your thinking - don't worry about sounding too high. Break your bid into those four areas (that's how you're going to work it up, anyway) and give a separate price that is maybe 10% lower than the total of each combined.

3. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

That's good advice.....never change your bid because you think it sounds too high. You know what your market will pay and what it's going to cost you. Figure it up and submit it.....It's better to sit home done early then go broke because you lowballed it.
    Casey

4. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

thanks for the info. I thought I had come up with a good price. I am figuring on $450-sand, 75 shovel and rock salt wlaks, and 1500 for plowing..Now I find out the last guy that had it was bringing in over 3800 per storm for a 1-3! would any of you increase the rate??thanks

5. Mick

from Maine

Nope. He's looking for a different person for a reason. You've figured what you want. Like I said, give him your bid and be prepared to live up to it. If you find that you short-changed yourself; Just be glad you got it, consider it a chance to show how good you can do, learn from it and submit a new bid next year.

6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Well, I finally sub,itted the bid for the lot.I worked out a price and then increased just enough to help offset the 2 million in liability they require, and figuring that if I bring in a loader to help.Anyone have luck with a loader with the 10'-15' snow plow? does it really make things faster>? I am now trying to get into a local target.last year the guy doing the job sanded the whole job with a speedcaster 2 and 1 truck! hopefully I can get in a decent bid over there too.we'll just see...cant wait for snow!!

7. Mick

from Maine

Good luck, snoluvr. Reply to this thread and let us know how it went.