1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ozone, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Ozone

Ozone Member

Hey Guys,

I got an e-mail from a friend asking me to snowplow a commercial lot this late in the season. First off, I've only been plowing for 3 Years now, and this year I been plowing for a guy until he screwed me over with money and hours he cheated me out of.
    The reason for this post is...I never went out on my own on commercial before and this lady friend of mine sent this e-mail...

"Just talk to my maintenance man and one of the other landlords
    is still looking for someone to plow (snow)a commercial lot in
    Allentown. If you would be interested how much an hour
    would you charge and what would be you minimum you would
    charge. Like a one or two hours minimum or whatever. What ever
    you charge is fine with me. I will only pass this on to him.
    I do realize it would be about an hour traveling each way. (36-40 Miles...By the way, the guy in Allentown charge
    $ 600.00 an hour for snow plowing! I don't blame
    the landlord for looking for someone new."

I copied and pasted this e-mail she sent to me...However, Allentown is atleast an hour away from me. Is there something wrong with that figure?? I mean $600.00 an hr...I almost wanted to fire my truck up and sit in that parking lot for $600.00 an hr..lol.
    Can someone here tell me the ball park figure for an hourly rate for a commercial lot? Someone tell me something...cause Im about to have a heart attack over this...:eek:
    Anyways, if someone here is from the Allentown,Pa area..I would be more then happy to get you in contaqct with this person...for a small finders fee of course...;)

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

40 miles each way!:nono:
    $600.00 per hour!:eek:

3. Ozone

Ozone Member

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong section...I'll move it over to the other section.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I can understand your eagerness; I'm ready to drive there myself for that. But do you have insurance to cover this type of account? And do you have a contract they'd sign or would it be the other way around. Use caution as they may already have a contract with the "other guy". Be even more cautious if they don't. I don't know the custom in your area, but I charge travel one way. Travel charge equal to hourly rate. I say a two hour minimum is good.

Can't help on the hourly rate as what I charge in this area is irrelevant to yours.

I wouldn't balk at 40 miles. I'm on call for a school superintendent who called for one further than that. I'll drive however far they want, as long as they're paying for it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

If they realy are paying $600.00 per hour for a pick up, what are you waiting for. Write up a contract and get it signed. 6 hours of plowing will gross what $ 3600.00 . Plus salting . You could sub it out and pay the sub $100.00 an hour and make great money. I am 250 miles from there and its tempting .

6. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Ozone, i honestly find it hard to believe that some guy is getting paid $600 an hour that he is there. Could it be that the landlord told your friend "that it cost him $600 to have the lot done and that he had it done in about an hour" And forgot to tell her that the guy has 5 trucks running and he is probably there for over an hour? I'm from the Allentown area, and like everywhere else....everyone has a plow on their truck and the business owners are looking to get it done for free. I don't doubt that your friend was told what she said, I just know how some owners are.

7. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

She must have ment 600 for the job... IF i had to drive an hour to plow the lot ... I wouldnt want the job ... unless it was big bucks and it was my only job... when plowing u dont have time for travel!!

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Find a sub-contractor close to it and split the money. Have him call when he starts and call when he's done so you know it's done. Make sure the contract calls for salt or not, salt with freezing rain or not ( CYA ). But how big is the lot? Could just be a pain in the A%* too