1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial lot salt on site storage.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SNOMACHINE, Oct 23, 2012.

1. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

We have a large shopping center that we take care of that is about 35 miles from our shop. Last year was our 1st year of a 3 year contract. We had no problems with providing customer satisfaction. But having to drive back to reload salt then return. So I asked if we could store salt on site and they approved. So I have a friend that runs a scrap yard and thought of using 30 yard roll off containers for salt storage. That way there's no clean up. The question I have is, has anyone done this before & would there be any problems with salt freezing in the container when it gets really cold? Or is there another way to go about this aany info would be appreciated. Thanks

2. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

On site salt storage

Get a large shipping contaner. We store on site about 50 tons of Clear Lane Salt and skid loader in one of these contaners and have no problems. The cost to rent one here is about $400 which includes delivery and pickup of the container.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Build a bin, 12 mafia block and you're good. Never tried the container thing, but I'd say make sure you have something in the paperwork on the container(if you go that route) making it clear you intend to store salt in it. Heard a guy end up being invoiced for a new container after having had salt it the one he rented for 4 months. Not sure how that played out.

4. fireside

fireside Senior Member

The dumpster works great. The sea container works ok but it takes time to load all the salt inside after it's delivered. Take the dumpster go load the salt drive back and put it on the ground all done. There is a company around me that does it that way. they even lock the rear door closed. The only problem they have found during the first year was pulling off the tarp with snow on it. Even funnier one night they went to get salt only to find someone had fill it with trash! They now have a cover system over it that they just slide back and load with a skidsteer.

5. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

I saw a roll off with a under tailgate swenson spreader on it. Wish I would have taken a picture it was neat

6. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

QUOTE=fireside;1504910]The dumpster works great. The sea container works ok but it takes time to load all the salt inside after it's delivered. Take the dumpster go load the salt drive back and put it on the ground all done. There is a company around me that does it that way. they even lock the rear door closed. The only problem they have found during the first year was pulling off the tarp with snow on it. Even funnier one night they went to get salt only to find someone had fill it with trash! They now have a cover system over it that they just slide back and load with a skidsteer.[/QUOTE]

I agree the tarp with snow could be a pain. But as long as its a heavy good tarp and tied tight I think we'll be able to clean the snow off pretty easy. I guess we'll see how it works. Thanks for the info

7. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

The sea can works great. Dump salt near the doors and use a skid steer to load it in. Took me about 20 minutes to load per dump truck.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure how much salt you use but up until 10 years ago we just dumped a 35-40 ton load and covered with a heavy 1 piece tarp and put skids around it. We had done that for over 20 years and it worked like a charm. If you pile it so you can get around all sides it will make it easier to in large storms to shovel the pile off. Theft was never a problem and for the little bit that people took in pails and such it didn't add up to squat. Plus it's cheap storage. Round bale tarps or pool cover make great heavy tarps. Just a suggestion.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you have a really good tarp I can see a real problem with the dumpster if it rains.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you had a roll tarp like a grain truck it might be alright.

11. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Or just jam some 2x4s In the pile on the top to form a tent like situation, or mound the hell out of the salt.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on how long a 30 yard dumpster will last I think I would rather spend the extra time loading a sea can but I guess you need to have nothing bigger then a skid steer to get in there.

13. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

They do have a roll tarp on a couple that he said would set aside for me. Dave, we go through about 75 to 100 ton a year there on an average year. Just figured with the roll off there wouldn't be any clean up after the season. And I can just have him pick it up when spring rolls around.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A pile on the ground with a tarp is easy peasy. All you do is load up your left overs at the end of the season. Never had a big deal with it and we were using over 500 ton at that time. The roll off bin does sound like a good idea to me but I will bet after a couple years he wont like what the salt is doing to his bins. Loading a Seacan to me seems like a lot more work then a tarp but that's just me. There is also no way I'd store my skid in the seacan with my salt. The skid will also get a good dose of salt loading the seacan and you have to worry about it being empty to return it also. JMO

15. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

This is Good advice from a Smart man.........My father always said...Keep it simple stupid...Nothing more simple than a pile and a tarp........:salute:

16. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I would be a little worried about storing a loader in a confined space with salt...sounds like it's working so far but I wouldn't personally do it

17. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

No loader being stored inside with salt. Actually they have a maintenance building at this shopping center that our wheel loader, and skid stay in. With the salt being stored next to this building. I thought of a sea container at first but I would have to have salt delivered and dumped then I would have to load salt into the container. The 2 roll offs will be loaded and just dropped off when one is empty we'll pick it up and go reload it when we have time.

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think you've alreay made up your mind on the roll off idea so I'll say go for it and let us know how it works out for you.

19. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

JD, yeah I'm gonna give a try. I do appreciate the info from other contractors. I think its nice to get other prospectives on issues. And things that I may not have thought of.
    Thanks again!

20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I used a 20 yard roll off a few years ago. with the container full to the top I used sheets of plywood over the container then a plastic tarp over the wood. It worked OK I did have some issues with the salt freezing up along the cold steel sides and also made a ramp to get in and out
    Steve