1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Liability Question

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Stan, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

How much are you guys paying per year and who is insuring? I just got a quote from State Farm for $3700 per year and was wondering is this the norm? I do have a full time job am planning to utilize this for snow plowing only/seasonal. Was told that some companys are not writting new policys. Any help would be appreciated.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is this for truck insurance or General Liabilities or both?

3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Just for "slip & fall"/liability.

4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I'm at about 1000 for GL. Can't remember the name of the company just the broker, its in a file cabinet in my office and unfortuantely I'm at work.

5. grandview

mine is just a little more then a grand but i have 2 million in coverage

6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I pay $350 every 3 months but that includes liability, commercial auto, plus Million $ umbrella policy..

7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

If its not too much trouble can you post some insurance company names/numbers?

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I have Erie now.
    American Family writes snow, so does travelers.
    Most guys have snow as an add on to there other seasonal work. There rates will be much, lower due to this. Most companys will not write just snow policies.

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks T.
    I've been working for a sub-contractor for over 15 years. I'm trying to get the overall cost of over head soup to nuts before I bid. I am in the process of registering an LLC and have never done this sort of thing. A few replies above seem fairly reasonable but have a question:

Are these premiums for the entire liability policy or an add on to cover slip & fall/snow removal?

10. grandview

GL usually covers everything. Unless you hit something with your truck then the auto kicks in. Just make sure too that you have commercial auto insurance and not personal on your truck because you won't be covered if something happens.

11. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks grandview. Being that your in NY who do you use?
    State Farm was out of thier mind when they quoted me.

12. grandview

Mine is brokered through M&T Bank insurance and they put me through Peerless insurance out of Ohio.

13. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks again Grandview

14. Stan

Stan Senior Member

The best price I have found is apprx 1800.00. I need a general policy for landscaping with coverage for snowplowing. The highest was $3700.00. Is the first figure good with $1M coverage/1000.00 deuctable?

15. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

mine is for 2 mill too but it cost me just under 2 grand a year. and I don't live where anyone is worth that:jester:

16. Stan

Stan Senior Member

LOL nobody is worth that here as well. Is your policy written for landscaping with snow plowing coverage?

17. grandview

You have to remember with business insurance is that your premium is partly based on revenue ,another words it's so much per 1,000.00 so that's why everyone has a different price,it just depends on the figure you give them ,then after the first year they will send out an audit sheet and readjust your premiums.

18. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Stan, where on the island are you? I pay about $1200/year on $1M/$2M GL and I'm covered for landscaping, plowing, and power washing. My broker has me through MSA Group. PM me if you want my brokers info.

19. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I'm actually an excavating contractor. The only thing I'm not covered for is forestry operations.

20. Stan

Stan Senior Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the agents I spoke with never asked me about revenue. All they asked if the commercial lots were large. My response was several small lots. It's hard to determine Mother nature. If we have the precipitation as this summer it would be a good season