1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Insurance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steeve34, Feb 2, 2010.

1. steeve34

steeve34 Junior Member

Quick question one of my truck was involve in a head on collision with a Ford Focus, the lady that was driven the focus lost control on a icy road and it the plow (Blizzard) the plow need a new A frame, Cylinder a couple new pin. With commercial insurance do you get a replacement truck with a plow or you just have to go with out that truck...

Steeve

DSC09910.jpg

DSC09921.jpg

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

They will give you a rental but I doubt there are any out there with plows. Since she was at fault, her insurance will be paying for everything so your insurance really won't come into play other than subrogating the costs of the damages to her insurance.

3. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

have you ever seen a place that RENTS trucks with plows??? you will get a rental truck, but no plow. if you miss an event, then you would need a lawyer to sue for lost wages if it snows

4. Snowpusher78

Snowpusher78 Junior Member

check some equipment rental places sometimes they have trucks they rent that are equipped with plows.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a United rental up there because they do rent trucks out with plows,but good luck at this time of the season.

6. loudredram

loudredram Member

Also if there is a Hertz rental up by you I know they rent trucks with plows

7. plowguy43

You also don't have to shop your truck right away. You can have it repaired after the season if you choose- thats if the plow is still working...

8. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

you guys are lucky to have places that rent plows. as far as i know around indiana those places mentioned do not do that here. but i guess you guys might be in a better market for that.

9. steeve34

steeve34 Junior Member

Talk to my insurance

I talk to the insurance adjuster yesterday, there is 5800$ damage on the blizzard plow and 3000$ damage on the truck. They should give us the OK today to get everything fix. The good thing is there not calling any snow for the next week + .

Steeve
    tymusic
    Dodge Ram 1500 Blizzard
    F250 Meyer
    45" Troy-bilt Blower

10. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

If I needed the plow to complete the route and could not find one to rent I would either rent a bobcat or piece of equiptment to do the route or hire a sub to do the route and turn the bills into the insurance company. I am sure they will tell you they wont pay but they really have no choice. They can not expect you to lose customers or income from this.

11. lumps

lumps Senior Member

How can you have $5,800 in damage on a $5,000 plow??

12. plowguy43

Sometime's replacing parts on something cost more than buying a complete one.

Example- If you were to buy all of the parts from Toyota to build a Toyota Camry yourself, it would be over $90,000.

A Hyundai Sonata- $43,000 +

That could be why.

13. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Very true. Plus all the labor to tear down and rebuild. I just think it's amusing, haha.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You don't have a United Rentals or a Hertz inyour area?

15. steeve34

steeve34 Junior Member

The plow

The plow itself was bought Dec 14 2007 for 5999$ (inc. Tax and install) now with everything going up they probably worth more then that, and I agree there is probably many hours to take it apart and rebuild it with new parts and it's probably at 90$ an hours.

Steeve

16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Your adjuster is a moron if there's $5800 damage to the plow and they're going to FIX it.

17. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing...Just dont make sence. They wouldnt fix a 25k truck if it was gonna cost 24k to fix.......

18. steeve34

steeve34 Junior Member

They dont know better

I dont think they know to much about plowing....

Steeve

Dodge Ram 1500 Blizzard
    F250 Meyer
    45" Troy Bilt

19. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

It's not whether or not they know anything about plowing.

You paid $5,800 +/- for your plow 2-3 years ago.

I just priced out a new Boss V installed for $6,200. Both of these prices are including the whole truck side, all the wiring, controller, etc.

You're telling me, they're going to put $5,800 into putting this plow back together, when they could buy a whole NEW plow (truck parts not withstanding, or wiring, or controller) for around $4,500? THEN sell your broken plow for parts?

You didn't say anything was wrong with the moldboard, hoses, cutting edges, parts that would easily be worth $1,000 in parts.

Now they're only into your plow for $3,500.

Again, something doesn't add up.

20. stotts1

stotts1 Member

i doubt many if any insurance adjusters are willing to put in the time to "try" and part this plow out. most have no idea what these are worth or how to move them.