1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Insurance Q

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cjasonbr, Sep 1, 2006.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

So the lady at the RMV tells me "If you're going to be doing any kind of business with your truck you need commercial plates". So i go to my insurance Co. and the lady says that my commercial insurance at the same coverages as my personal will be $1600 opposed to the $3000+ that it was with personal. She says that's because commercial doesn't count your surcharge points. Great i say...... so she calls the underwriter (commerce) and comes back and says, "The only way we can write you a policy for commerical plates is if you go with the million dollar coverage." She says that if i want any less coverage then i can just go with a personal policy. She said that the a million dollars is the only amount that personal does not offer, so that's why they'd be willing to write me the commercial policy.

Well even an idiot would say, well i can get a personal policy with 3/4 million in coverage for 4k or a commercial policy for a full million for 2.6k.... hmmmmm. So i think that they were BSing me to get the most $$$ out of me they could because they were losing $ by me switching to commercial......

What do you guys think... i thought that if you were doing commercial plowing, you had to have commercial plates...... the insurance lady said that wasn;t the case :confused:
  2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

im running into this crap now for my business :realmad:
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

im running into this crap now for my business :realmad:

but theyre stating in NJ my personal policy wont cover my truck in an accident even if i dont even have a sign on it or anything and is only used one day per week... i dont even know for 100% sure ill buy a new truck and plow this year yet...
  4. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

Every state will have different laws and you will receive 50 different answers. The issue I ran into was I need my truck for business and personal. Here, commerical policies are way higher price than personal. If I went commercial, I would have no coverage when pulling my travel trailer, boat, ect. I am on a personal policy with the trucks listed as business vehichles, I carry gen bus liability ins for 1 mil and I also have a 1 mil umbrella over all the policies, auto, business, trailers, plows, lawn equip, life policies, wife's daycare.