1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial hourly rate.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BigRigTech, Oct 3, 2009.

1. BigRigTech

BigRigTech Junior Member

I'm gearing this truck up to plow this winter (see my sig). My buddy will be running it - he's a professional truck driver for a living with plowing experience. I just bought a 9ft plow for it. I have some cash driveways for my F250 but I'm trying to get lots of work for the F350. It seem's the going hourly for commercial work is $55-60/hr. To me that seems low if I have to pay a driver and fuel a 460 big block. I haven't bought a spreader yet but I will if it will be profitable....What should a truck this size pull in with the 9ft plow and a spreader? I have plowing insurance on my 250 (none on the 350 yet)....Should I expect to pay double for 2 trucks or should I get a discounted rate?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Are you coming up with that $55-60/hr based on subbing, or what you should be bidding contract at? That price here would be what you pay a sub in his own truck. If hes plowing in your truck, maybe $20-35/hr tops. If youre bidding commercial contracts you need to easily triple that $60/hr number. Im not sure i understand that part of your question. As for the insurance...i wouldnt expect a discounted rate, only because i didnt get one lol :cool:

by the way, on the F250 do you have that plow short chained? The pistons not extended and the blades up.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  3. BigRigTech

BigRigTech Junior Member

Yeah, the pic was taken last fall with the safety chain holding the blade up...I didn't have my hydraulics quite finished that day....The $60/hr was subbing out, I haven't bid on any jobs yet. I was thinking I'd like to see the truck subbed out for a winter to see how the truck handles and then maybe I'll look for some of my own contracts next year....Baby steps so I don't get myself in a pinch.:)...I do my own repair work as I'm a licensed truck mechanic so maintenance will be a regular thing. The plow gear I bought for the F350 comes from a good buddy who runs a plow install shop - it came off his own truck. He rebuilt the powerpack last winter.

4. 06HD BOSS

If youre subbing that truck out for $60, paying a guy $20 to run it, and spending maybe $10/hr on fuel for that big block, that puts $30/hr in your hand...until you figure in insurance & maintenance costs. I dont know how long that truck would run on an average storm, but say 6 hours per storm. Thats $180 for you after paying for everything. Now think, how many driveways can you do for $180, and how long it takes to do them? Thats like 3 driveways and im sure you can have them done in less time than it would take to make $180 subbing that truck lol. For example, In 6 hours i do 50 driveways, thats 15x the money you would make subbing the truck. Just something to think about...

5. BigRigTech

BigRigTech Junior Member

Most of my driveway's are $20-25 each, around here the tops you will get is about $35 unless the driveway is huge. I agree - I can do about 4-6 in an hour, most of mine are 100+ft.

6. 06HD BOSS

Ok so youd have to do 7 driveways at your price to match what you would make in 6 hours with the other truck. You can make the same ammount in 1.5hrs compared to 6hrs. Id say try and pick up as many drives as you can and dont get involved with subbing the other truck. Or move down here and get $45-60 per driveway lol.

7. BigRigTech

BigRigTech Junior Member

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having the 1-ton plowing all my driveways and I would just back it up with the 250 as the 250 is my daily driver.....The only nice thing about commercial stuff is you plow more often....Most of my customers won't pay for plowing unless there is atleast 3-4" of snow so you miss out on some storms....It will take a couple of seasons to build up a customer base but I'd like to see the truck making $500 minimum per storm...I have loads of Ford trucks for parts so my repair costs are almost zero...LOL