1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial entrances

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vis, Feb 8, 2006.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

How do you guys go about clearing the entrances into parking lots?

Push across the street? (Easiest on non busy road but it is a :nono: )

Push into the lot backing in and out of the road?

I like to push it all to the edge of the road then go out in the road and face toward oncoming traffic, and push my long pile up on the curb to one side, but be sure to knock it down so cars can see getting out of the lot...

Just lookin to see what others are doing and if there is a better way....busy roads are a pain :dizzy:

2. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

We use a loader so we dont have that problem. Its too dangerous to have a truck in the middle of snow covered roads.

3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

yeah thats why i push it to the edge...try to keep out of the road as much as possible.

4. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

in

This works best if lot has more than one entrance. I push in on one side out on the other side angle to the right goinr out so the snow is on the side of the road with the town plow snow. Then clean up going across only have a small pile at that point.

5. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

All snow always comes in to the lot and gets pushed to the pile. We have to do it before the busy times, sometimes it can be a pain.

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I park the truck in the road with the all the lights going and then let Clark with the kubota push the entrances ways. Since the tractor is small enought that he can back out into the road (protected by the truck) and push the snow in and clean right to the curb. I rather get the dump truck hit when its parked (then its their falt) then some hit clark on the kubota or one of our other subs trying to push the entrance.

7. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

snow

Hey will, you gonna use that fine snowblower i sold you or what? We have snow on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If I can do it, I leave a BIG snowbank at the road, drive through it and plow the lot first- keeps people out of your way since they can;t get through the snowbank (sometimes I used to fortify it to make sure they could not drive through), then clear it to the sides, usually from the street since it's easier to make sure none goes in the street from that side. Busy street or not- a plow truck with flashing lights was enough most of the time. Plus, most of the time my comercial acounts needed to be opened by 5AM so traffic wasn;t too big a deal.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

green, not sure about MD, but it's highly unlikey in MI that the other person would be at fault for hitting you if you are blocking a public roadway with a truck that is not performing snow removal on the roadway. Just because you're there doesn't necessarily mean you have the right of way is what I am trying to say.

This is another example of where a back (pull) plow is an indispensable tool. You don't have to back in the road and\or block the road for another piece of equipment. Just back the edge, drop both plows and away you go.

So you can tell that all our snow gets pushed in and disposed of on the property.

In most states it is illegal to push snow across a roadway. You also want to be very careful that you in no way block or restrict anybody's vision when piling at the approach. Not to say I've never done it, but if at all possible I don't.

10. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Mark brings up a valid, yet confusing point! In MI, you are required to be in control of your vehicle at all times! I had a friend get ruled at fault for hitting a trailer on the highway that came loose and was sitting in the road over a hill. HOWEVER, there is also a law re: impeding traffic. As Mark said, if you dont have a legal reason to be there, you are impeding traffic. Would be interesting who got the ticket though, the moron who ran into the back of a truck with all the yellow strobes, or the guy out trying to do his job. Would just be luck of the draw as to how sensible the officer is that responds:dizzy: .

Back to your question, I will back into the road and push it in if traffic is light, or if traffic is heavy, pull to the edge of the road and backblade in. If you pile at the entrance, and someone get nailed pulling out, chances are you will get sued for impairing their line of sight!

Good luck!

Bill :drinkup:

11. Mark Oomkes

Grunt, I was thinking of that when I was typing. It would be interesting, although the way things have been going, I wouldn't\don't want to be the one to find out.

Just last summer a guy lost a roll of carpet off his trailer in the middle of a road, mother with 2 kids stops in the roadway while the carpet is moved off to the side, roll off refuse truck comes over the hill and around a curve, can't stop in time, hits the mom with kids, one kid isn't bucked properly in the child seat, gets ejected and dies. The truck driver was charged with negligent homicide for not being able to stop in time. Mom and other child were transproted, treated and released.

This scared the crap out of me, because that could happen to me at any time. I can't remember if he pleaded guilty or he actually went to court. I know if I was on that jury I'd have a hard time convicting the guy.

12. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Mark,
    I saw that one on the news. Bad situation! The true cause of the accident was the idiot that didn't secure his load:gunsfiring: :realmad: . Seems to me though, the commercial truck driver always gets blamed! Everyone thinks trucks are evil, and dont realize that 98% of EVERYTHING they use is hauled by one! Sometimes MI's law is stupid, such as the person pulling out infront of you and stopping, or the person that slams on the brakes to make u hit them cause they think u are too close! Should be more discretion up to the officer as to who really caused the accident.

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I find the easiest and safest method for me is to backdrag it into the lot, then push it to the nearest pile away from the road. Now as we know the V-plow doesn't backdrag all that well, but any traces of snow left quickly get run in and melted from salt on the road (from the lots that do not want salt) or I salt them off (for the others).

Now, if only I could figure out a quick/safe way to keep the drivers away from me while doing it... high visibility reverse lights, backup alarm, and rotary bars don't seem to do it, they'll still pull right up behind me. :dizzy: And to think that there is another entrance/exit about 75' over that is perfectly clear to use...

14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If iam plowing a parking lot, the first priority is to make sure all the snow is going on the property Iam plowing and not on public roads or sidewalks. I will always enter a parking lot from the right side of the road (make a right turn in) then I just veer off the road while dropping the plow, that way I hit the enterance on a diagonal and I can stop and leave the pile somewhere just to the side of the enterance INSIDE the lot. If I need to take another stab at it, I will back into the road when its clear and do it again. I usually only need two or three swipes off the road at most the rest can be fine tuned from inside. When I need to use the road I need to use the road, once its safe for me to get out there, I take my sweet time getting in the right position, I could care less if Iam blocking 5 lanes of traffic. People get mad but I have a job to do and so do they (thats why they are mad, they are going to be late for work), so what gives them the right to do their job and not me? They can deal with it, that road is all mine once iam out there for as long as i need it to do my job properly. Iam not in the least bit worried about slowing down the guy in the BMW who is trying to drive 60 MPH on snow covered roads.

15. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Chris, not that I dont agree with you, but you definately should be worried about the guy in the BMW! Read Mark & I's post above. If you back out infront of him, and block the road, and he cant stop on the slippery roads, unless you are incorporated he is going to own your trucks, house, any toys, etc, and half of your paycheck for the rest of your life! We all have jobs to do, but to back into the road and block it, and take your time while you are out there:dizzy: , man that just isnt very smart!

Good luck!
    Bill

16. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

I agree with Mark that a backblade is the best tool for doing entrances. Its alot easier and safer then trying to backblade away from the road or even trying to back in the road to push in to the lot.

Bill made a good point that you can't always depend on someone seeing you when your blocking the road no matter how many blinking lights you have on your truck. You guys were talking about that garbage truck that hit the van last year, even more recently the semi that rear ended the car here in Holland on Tuesday morning. I dont even want to take the chance of backing out and depend on some one else to stop just so I can do my job. Granted it gets frusterating wait for a big break in traffic, but I would rather wait then end up killing some one or getting killed.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What is the big deal about backing out onto the road??
    commercial or res??
    You would not pull out in front of someone would you?
    When there is an opening in traffic, back out and push it to the side or wherever you want to.
    I have several lots that are on busy roads and expressways. I have never had any problems backing out into the street.
    If you are plow during the early morning hours how much traffic is there anyway?

HO!YEA!! where to put the snow?? lol wherever the customer wants it! It is there property and snow...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  18. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Most commercial lots I know have two entrances. At night everything is easy, but during the day the safest way is to always push into the lot. If the entrance is wide I push in then drive out the other entrance/exit and then push in again.

Cars will always get in your way, so take it slow, have all the lights on, don't block anything, wait for the pita's because they effectively pay your bill--piss them off they complain to management who may decide not to sign your contract next year!

Most of all pray for night time snows so we don't have to deal with the daytime issues.

19. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I understand that your not trying to argue, no problem.:)

I read both your posts, yes good points.

I think what you missed or what I did not put enough emphesis on in my first post was:

"When I need to use the road I need to use the road, once its safe for me to get out there, I take my sweet time getting in the right position"

That means the guy in the BMW is no where in sight and I can see 1/2 mile up to the next intersection. I would NEVER pull out and make someone hit their brakes unexpectedly with snow on the roads. Iam referring to the yuppie who inevitabely has a problem with me being in the road after racing from a complete stop at the light thats a long ways back and pulls up to the side of my truck and goes BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP for about 10 seconds.

Of course I dont intentionally sit in the middle of the road to make people mad, I want to get the hell off it as quick as possible however Iam going to take the time I need to do my job safely and properly.

I would never pull out expecting someone going 45 to stop on snow, but when I claim the road during that HUGE LULL in trafic I waited 10 minuites for then iam going to use it to my full advantage.

20. Mark Oomkes

I agree 110%. I really believe that some of the blame lies with the mother as well. Stopping in the middle of the road on a hill and curve and not having the child seat properly installed. The other child wasn't badly injured and neither was she, I think I would've fought that charge pretty hard. I know a couple guys that work for that trash company as well, and they said the driver was left on his own, everybody pretty much hung him out to dry.