1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Contracts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DoTheSnowDance, Sep 15, 2009.

1. DoTheSnowDance

DoTheSnowDance Junior Member

Hello,
    I have been doing residential snow/ice management for anout 5 years now.I will be looking to get into commercial snow/ice management next year.

Do you call and set up an app. with the property manger?

Do they annonce open bids?

Thank you in advance.

2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I always called the location and asked for the manager or maintenance supervisor. If they cant answer my questions, they always pointed me to someone who could.

I never went into many details about my service. I always gave them my name and my company name and asked if I could set an appointment to discuss...

3. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Im in a similar situation. For 8 years ive been subbing for companies and ive been shying away from that as I havent worked for reputable companies and have always had problems getting paid due to the fact that i was told i did a poor job but later i went and talked to the property managers and was told that i did a stand up job and that the guys i subbed for went through a new sub every few storms because they didnt want to pay but anyways enough rambling the last two seasons i got a couple of commercial accounts and lots of residentials by people seeing my business cards on bulletein boards and so on. The problem is i still dont have enough accounts to keep me busy and i have stopped by a few places here and there to try to get some bidding in but they are either happy with there current plow guy or theyve already signed contracts for this season. My question is should i just continue going door to door to get some business and keep posting on craigslist or is there a better way of getting some clientele? Im running out of ideas. And also alot of the people that ive had were ones that called 2 days before the first storm hit. Any help would be greatly appreciated as im getting stressed out and its only september. LOL. Thanks

4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Keep pounding the pavement!!! I have found it very advantageous to go back to everyone after the first few storms to make sure they are still happy with their current contractor. If their performance is sub par, the owner may be looking for someone else.

5. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

Dude don't be stressed. That ShT will kill you! Sales is a numbers game. The more people you meet, the more calls you make = xyz# of bids you get to submit. XYZ# of bids = XYZ # of CONTRACTS. Don't give up. Move forward every day by making sales calls and writing down all the contact and important information from your conversation. I use a combination of foot work and phone work, but more phone than foot. What I have done for years is drive past a place that I want to plow, open up the phone book, and ask the manager in charge "if they are accepting snow removal proposals for the upcoming season" 50+ percent of the time you will get a yes. During the conversation I take an index card and write down any information that is important to remember from our conversation and file it. You will use this information to submit your proposal, or for next year. Because even if you hear a no you still will have all the contact info, and come next year you will have a head start on who to call when the sales season starts. Which makes every year after easy-er. The morning is the best time to make your sales calls. The decision makers are more likely to pick up the phone at this time.:gunsfiring: