1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Contracts Dragging Their Feet...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MahonLawnCare, Nov 6, 2009.

1. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Anyone else in an area that hasn't seen any snow and 60's weather (Ohio here for once it's nice and we can finish clean'ups!!!) noticing commercial plowing and salting accounts dragging their feet on making a choice and trying to lowball you on every bid...i have explained fuel is up, salt is up, taxes still kill us and they dont get it. because every tom dick and harry think they are landscapers and snow plowers and screw up the market by bidding ridiculously low prices, the commecial cust thinks everyone should be outrageously cheap and good and reliable! you have manpower to plow everything for nothing and be reliable. the economy is jading peoples expectations....it's ridiculous!!!!!!!

2. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Keep the faith my brother.Tell them you get what you par for.When you get a bilzard you will be there.If thier busness doesn't have to open in a few days and they don't mind if they get sued then go with the cheapest guy.Tell them it's snowplowing insurance...

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i think some commercials this year are just waiting for the low ballers to finally submit prices.... we usually have all accounts wrapped up by now, but still have a bunch out there not yet decided or "waiting" in lala land.

4. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

yeah that is the hold up on my end...some patient came in to one of our eye center buildings and said the "flower beds look unkept"...(maintenance handles that..not us), he gives his number on a piece of paper and the administrator calls me and says "did you get that contract i signed yet via fax?"..i say no, not yet. he says "oh good, i can't sign it yet anyways, i have to get a price from bob and shelly." i say we have a deal and you know that...he says "i know i'm not going to go with them, just protocol....you'll have it tomorrow...it's been a week no contract, he won't return my call....i sure hope bob and shelly can handle 7 lots 24/7...and bob and shelly aren't even a real business.. .a retired nosy busybody...i have seen it all this season

5. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Im still waiting for an answer from a few hotels up by me, I have the feeling they are gonna sign an hour before its starts snowing, if that's the case im doubling the price.payuppayup

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We havent really had that problem this year, we had every one that needed to signed up by the end of July this year. Since then its been crazy!!

Its going to be a good year here in OHIO!

7. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

You may want to hold back I think the weather in Ohio is not going to be a big money maker, my opinion!

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Its always a good year in ohio, somes just better then others!

9. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

As of today I have 15 contracts pending some our big places. I have talked to all these people on Friday and they are like we have yet to have a chance to look over the quotes but we will probably go with you. Probably isn't going to get their lots plowed when we get snow this month and they call begging for service.

10. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

Finally got one today...woo hoo about time its already November..still waiting on others

11. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

I agree....still waiting on a few and its starting to piss me off. Wondering if its even worth it anymore. Paying help, equipment, fuel, taxes.... and i'm supposed to compete with a local guy doing drives for $14.50/plow!!?? Then I make up all my routs, and I have to go back and add some in because they waited untill november to sing up. I've been hearing a lot of "the boss is having a friend of his that has a plow come take a look at the property adn see if he can give a price, so as soon as I hear from him, I will let you know" If thats what the industry is comming to....i migh be rethinking about growing, and just keep a few for myself...

12. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I don't do a lot of commercial, but it seems like everyone is a little late with payments this year. The mild weather probably doesn't help much.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  13. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

My residential is slow this year as well, last year I was swamped with the amount of calls coming in, this year im ranging 2 calls a day, thats not enough

14. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

OMG...I totally agree brother....craigslist has ruined the service business...to most people we are rum-dums with 89 broncos and a buyers suv spreader....i had my biggest plowing contract tell me "we're getting a quote from a retired gentlemen"...unbelievable...these newbies have no idea what all is involved for their lowball price..

15. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey, nothing wrong with retired gentlemen!! LMAO

16. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

People with one truck give everyone a bad name.
    I was at a jewlery store today and the subject of snow removal came up (i told them i couldn't buy it since i just bought a new plow) and he said oh do you have a company, I said no i just have a truck and plow and i work for a few landscape company's around town. He said give me an estimate you will probly be cheaper than xyz nursery that is doing it now. I said no thanks but tell them if they need a sub I'll be more than happy to help them or have the guy i plow for give you an estimate..
    I don't have the man power or equiptment to do his lot so why bother undercutting someone that i will probably sub for at some point. Plowing to me is a side job that i love.

17. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Whoaaaa....I had one truck for a number of years, until I was in the business long enough to have enough equipment to plow the biggest lot in town at the time. Just because someone has one truck, does not mean he doesn't carry the necessary insurance and have subs working for him. I'd say there are many more "one truck owners" on plow site that would agree.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  18. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I'm not talking about legitamate people, Im talking about the people that everyone is alway's bitching about. I am a sub so i was not slamming on anyone with one truck that does things right,

19. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

we are talking about one truck guys, like yourself, that are retired, and under-cut legitimate companies, like ours. I am not specifically talking about you gramps. You look like you have a nice truck and all which is fine. I am talking about the one retired guys who undercut work because they can. It's frustrating to the rest of us who make a living on it. Most of them are collecting a pension, 401k etc. They just do it to get out the house and stop listening to the old lady nag...i say take up golf, don't steal work from people...

20. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

those people doing snow removal under the table, get theirs in the end, they well have a slip and fall and get sued, or do a poor job, have a break down and not be able to get out, eventually this is going to happen, unfortunately when it does (and those pissed off customers come back to legitimate companies) there well be another guy with another broke down truck and plow, and more customers digging for that deal, it the circle of life for a snow removal company