1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Bid Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DuallySnoPusher, Oct 2, 2007.

1. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

I need a little help bidding on this lot its 114,510 sq ft and they want it plowed and salted. How much would you charge to plow 1-3 4-6 and so on. Also how much salt would you apply (yards/tons) for an average one time application, i know that it depends on conditions and everything. Also what would you charge to apply, they sell it for $75 a yard down the street bulk at a supply place.

Automation Services Crop.jpg

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

With the truck you have listed I would think 3 hours max. That is no cars in the lot, I could work around the trailers. If you have plowed and it is not snowing 1 ton of salt. Trying to melt out 1/2" of snow maybe 1 1/2 to 2 tons. I only have 1 contract that pays at different depths. Upto 6" is X and over 6" is 2X.

You will need to change your pricing structure. There is a gap from 3 to 4. It needs to be 1-3, over 3 to 6, over 6 to 9 and so on. You might all ready know that but I thought I would just remind you. I am sure at 3.5 they would pay for the 1-3.

3. DuallySnoPusher

So you think about 2.5 truck hours and 2 yards of salt will cover? I just noticed the inches thing i was just throwing some numbers. Do you charge double what you pay for salt applied. Ex: $75 material $150 applied

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Yards and tons are two seperate critters. Most guys go by a ton.
    Charge for salt what you charge to plow. It works.

5. DuallySnoPusher

The only reason that i am asking by the yard is because that is they way that the supply place sells it, they have a 1 yard bucket on their loader. Thanks

6. WINTERGROUP

WINTERGROUP Member

Bid Help

As Far As I Could See A Class A Plow Driver 3-3.5 Hrs, Day Visit (clear Drive Lanes Entrances And Exits) 1 Hr Per Visit
    Salt 1.5 Tons Light, 2-3 Heavy Appliaction

7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Im sorry but if it takes you guys 3 hours to plow and salt that place you need to press on the gas pedal or something.

Looks like a 2 hour site to me tops.

And I may get flack for it but I think you can do that site easily with one ton or a little less.

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

Trust me if Snowpower says HE can do it in "2 hours" then it will take ANYONE else at least 3 and half again as much salt, After all his name is SNOWPOWER not POWERJOKE(i used to have a psd)

Sorry for getting off topic but my vote is for 3-4+ hours also with obsticles and not damaging anything but i am not real sure on the salt, Which way does the building set and how much of the lot is shaded

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You just can't let it go, can you? LOL

I'm pretty sure 3 hours will more then do it, give or take an hour. Hope this helps. LOL

3 hours is my final answer. Deal or No Deal.

10. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i dunno but its gonna take some serious time to salt that lot with an 8" spreader how many trips back and forth to fill that thing up do ya think it will take? lol just bustin ya.

11. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I could have that place plowed out in an hr with an 8ft straight blade with a 2-4 as long as cars weren't there. I would say $245 2"-4" and $140 for salt

12. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

On the low end

1-3 $1500
    3-6 $2500
    6+ 3-6 rate plus $300 per inch

13. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

We would love to get those prices around here maybe we should move..

14. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I cant see going any cheaper.

$245? for hours of plowing?

Youre better off taking 5 driveways that can be done in half an hour for all 5 for $245

15. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

I am with PROCUT

SCOTTSCAPE if you are serious about moving consider yourself with a job LOL

On second thought how much experiance do you have "AN HOUR" c'mon it'll take longer than that

16. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

An hour....haha with a pickup

It would take more than an hour with a loader and pusher box.

You would be there all dam day with a pickup and still not finish one round.

Look a little closer.

Im surprised that place even wants a per push contract.

I guess if they can get someone to do a $75,000 a year contract for $245 a storm it sure makes sense to them. I sure hope the facility manager doesnt shoot soda through his nose when he hears that price. Im sure hes gonna think youre joking.

17. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

There are roughly 175-200 (yes count them) parking spots in the parking lot not including the loading docks, ent. ways and drive lanes. From the roof this place looks a hell of alot bigger than it is but its not. We do most of our large lot bidding by aerial view anyway so lets not kid ourselves that I don't have experience with these photos. With one truck windrowing most of that lot with a 2-4" and not the heavy heavy wet stuff it would take me no more than an hr with NO cars in the lot. There are no curbs besides the islands, no walkways in the middle. We also take care of alot of driveways but there isn't as much of a demand for them beings that most driveways the average home owner can take care of with a shovel oppose to a lot plus there are a lot of average joes that go out buy their brand new plow and have no use for it besides to go through a neighborhood door to door asking if they can take care it for $15-20 bucks. So if you've got 5-6 driveways in one area for $45 and there isn't as much drive time required then I'd be all for it and we do have those but we here in central ohio do not have such a demand beings that we average only 3-4 plowable occurences per year. Again as said if you can get those numbers on this lot then great, im glad because this industry gets lower every year.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  18. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

If you can do that place in an hour.

Come to NY for the winter and Ill pay you $250 an hour to plow for me in one of my trucks.
    Ill make a killing.

19. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Hell ill do $500 an hour

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I use the number of parking spots to figure out pricing too, but come on there's over 2.5 acres of pavement. I